the good Impact of BritishRaj in South Asia.

Jan 2019
Valencia
Shivaji is pan-India hero.
On what basis? Because you said so? he is symbol of Marathi/Maratha nationalism which is based in anti-Brahmin/Hindu sentiments:

https://www.jstor.org/stable/44303893

The Sambhaji Brigade wish to create a new religion with Maratha figures as Gods, I guess you plan to join them?

As for those who like him outside of Maharashtra, they are a minority and restricted to Hindu Nationalist circles. Otherwise most people are ignorant of history and have only heard passing references to him.

Hindi belt people see Shivaji as one of our own
No, we most certainly do not. I can't find any monuments, parks or stadiums named after Pahadi Chuha in the Hindi Belt. If someone was to pick Pahadi Chuha over a local hero there would be widespread anger.

May 2011
Navan, Ireland
Until 1920s, Congress demand was confined to Dominion status but in 1930 the demand was changed to total independence. 26 January 1930 was a key date for it.
You said that India call for independence were ignored pre WWII yet in reality the Government of India recognised the principle of the matter.
I would agree that movement towards independence was slow in the extreme but it had been agreed.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
On what basis? Because you said so? he is symbol of Marathi/Maratha nationalism which is based in anti-Brahmin/Hindu sentiments:

https://www.jstor.org/stable/44303893

The Sambhaji Brigade wish to create a new religion with Maratha figures as Gods, I guess you plan to join them?

As for those who like him outside of Maharashtra, they are a minority and restricted to Hindu Nationalist circles. Otherwise most people are ignorant of history and have only heard passing references to him.

No, we most certainly do not. I can't find any monuments, parks or stadiums named after Pahadi Chuha in the Hindi Belt. If someone was to pick Pahadi Chuha over a local hero there would be widespread anger.
As someone pointed out no amount of heart burn would change the fact Shivaji maharaja is a Pan-India Hero.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
So? That is not an excuse for elevating second rate achievers into 'godly figures'.
That was used figuratively, I am not even religious. The person Shivaji who can bankrupt a Pan-India Empire like Mughals is no second rate achiever. There is no doubt it was Deccan Mission of Mughals against Marathas that took a heavy toll on the Mughal Empire, it was faltering even in the lifetime of Aurangzeb. Even British try to take pride in Mughals despite their ruled just confined within their palace in Delhi, British even going far of making fake claims that they saved Hindus from the atrocities of Mughals.

Last edited:

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
You said that India call for independence were ignored pre WWII yet in reality the Government of India recognised the principle of the matter.
I would agree that movement towards independence was slow in the extreme but it had been agreed.
British until post-World 2 never send any delegation consenting for independence. All those delegation that were coming until world war 2 were all those recommanding more self rule for India under firm control of London. what you are saying may be the part of conflicting political views prevalent in British politics.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
But English has turned out to be the global lingua france (said he somewhat chauvinistically)
That's true English is a global lingua franca. There are many countries who adopted English despite not being colonized by Britain, people will adopt English if there is benefit associated with it. Before British came, Persian was used as the administrative language in India because English is just another language.

Aug 2009
Londinium
That's true English is a global lingua franca. There are many countries who adopted English despite not being colonized by Britain, people will adopt English if there is benefit associated with it. Before British came, Persian was used as the administrative language in India because English is just another language.

English is just another language, and is currently used as the lingua franca. Your example of Persian is also very apt, imagine if Persian suddenly became the global lingua franca during the time of Persian being widely used within India, surely a benefit to Indians on the global stage, no?