the good Impact of BritishRaj in South Asia.

Nov 2014
India
Ask a Christian or a Muslim. As for me, nothing is above criticism, that includes religions.Here Donald Trump is being worshipped as God. Could you tell how one can 'inspect this in a rational and logical way' without mocking? How is this any different from worshipping Shivaji?
I do not find you find Christian and Islamic belief systems to be fit for mockery, even though they are at least as ridiculous as the above two.

Feb 2019
Ariaca
I cannot understand why you say that Hinduism is going bananas? If some people find peace in worshipping Shivaji what does it matter to anybody else? As long as people do not cause harm to others, do not denigrate other people's belief's, there is no need to shame them. Even worshipping a stone is fine. After all any kind of worship is finding inner peace is it not?
because orthodox Brahmanism/Dharma forbids Idol worship, forget about Human worship.

we dont worship to find inner peace, we worship to get blessings from God.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
because orthodox Brahmanism/Dharma forbids Idol worship, forget about Human worship.

Pls give us a source of that Dharma forbids idol worshiping. Secondly, why should Hindus be ashamed of idol worshiping or worshiping forces of nature because some westerner told you. Infact, I don't even see people switching from polytheism to monotheism as some sort of cultural awakening.

Last edited:
Jun 2017
usa

Dharma does not forbid worshipping a god in any way you wish. As long as one is not forcing or coercing others tobelieve or worship in the same way and not harming anyone.
Bhakti is one way of attaining oneness with God. "Idol"worship is one way of doing Bhakti.
About why people worship god, well everyone has their own reasons. Some for inner peace, some for blessings but I think inner peace and harmony is the main reason.

even the mongols who were known for plunder, killing etc had something good about them.

the positive about british raj was, it really aided the development of indian archaeology, a lot of history was saved by the british, starting with making chronology of the indian history ateast from ashoka, a lot of british historiography can be questioned and especially their aryan migration theory can be brought under severe criticism because such a history honestly is more fantasy then reality, but it cannot be denied that indian scripts which couldnt be read like brahmi etc were deciphered, infact an ashokan pillar which was movd from allahabad and erected at firoz shah kotla was ordered to be translated by firoz shah, but the hindu scholars couldnt read them so they made something up themselves, this alone shows how much indian archaeology india owes to the british, nalanda was restored by the british mohenjo daro was excavated by the british etc, i have also read some where that some sarnath stupas which were to be demolished by a hindu raja like dhamekh stupa was stopped by the british, amravathi marbles which are buddhist limestone pieces were saved from demolition by the british as well and we know these priceless artifacts today.

british restoration methods were sometimes questionable and sometimes their restoration led to destruction of the originality of sites like mahabodhi temple was poorly restored, bhitargaon facade was demolished which probably contained earliest example of ogive arch in india etc.

british people today take a lot of credit for transportation and british contribution to indian railways, but this system was made to be flawed by the british, after the independence war british laid broad and narrow gauge railway tracks so that any further rebellion cannot take advantage of the brtish railway system, i have also read that british demolished many step wells which they thought was being used by indians to instigate insurgency and they declared them unhygienic as an excuse for demolition, the british also reportedly gouged out lots of precious gem stones inlaid in the taj mahal, it has been said that taj mahal was inlaid with diamonds and precious stones which would glitter when light reflected on it, and british gouged out all of them

the loot and plunder of the british was unequal, british also take credit for establishing colleges and universities, but indian literacy rate was very low when the british left, the indians would never have equal opportunities anyway since indians were considered second class citizens in their own country with racial discriminations. The british education system just colonised india mentally with colonial mindset, those few indians who became bureaucrats and statesmen and politicians were hijacked by colonial mentality, so even the educational institutions served the interest of the british raj hence producing more bad than good in this way.

regards

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
we don't worship to find inner peace, we worship to get blessings from God.
That is funny. Hinduism or Hindu Dharma has never forbid idol worship. It is an important part of Hinduism. If one likes what a person stood for, there is no harm to worship him/her as a model/one's idol. I am a strong atheist (which means I do not even accept the possibility of the existence of God) and an 'advaitist Hindu'. But if I idolize some persons, and may like to light a lamp or garland the photograph of my idol to show my respect to him/her, am I doing any harm to anyone, be it Shivaji or Adi Sankarcharya or Buddha or even Ashfaqullah Khan, the companion of Chandrashekhar Azad and Rama Prasad Bismil of Kakori case. Ashfaqullah died for his motherland. I find him worthy of my adoration.