• Neither

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • A pretty bad president, but not horrible

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • A greedy, evil man who was a horrible president

Votes: 36 24.8%

• Total voters
Dec 2011
And remember how his administration thought AIDS was funny? His press secretary, Larry Speakes, thought persons dying was really hilarious!
Remember the gag order on the surgeon general? Reagan had to be re-elected and his base thought genocide was the way to go, so Koop was not allowed to warn the public about AIDS.
Yes, Ronnie's great lines were really side-splitting.
Truly!
You can't really blame Ronnie for that, it was the pervading attitude of the time even the famously liberal Whitehouse press corps thought it was okay to laugh at gay stereotypes (not to mention Eddie Murphy). But you must remember AIDS was a tiny, tiny thing back then, the Cold War and Crack epidemic were considered much more important, it was only really later AIDS hit home, it really took Rock Hudson's tragedy.

jackydee

Ad Honorem
Jan 2013
Brigadoon
I just noticed one of the original voting options described Reagan as greedy. Whatever Reagan was he was not particularly rich. I can't see why anyone would call him greedy. His ranch home was also a fairly basic affair. Greedy, really?

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
I just noticed one of the original voting options described Reagan as greedy. Whatever Reagan was he was not particularly rich. I can't see why anyone would call him greedy. His ranch home was also a fairly basic affair. Greedy, really?
Obvious bias. Too bad for the 1990 rule, because there are some ex-presidents we could discuss who have made themselves lavishly rich after years in "public service." Must be nice. And there are some who say there is no God.

Lucius

Forum Staff
Jan 2007
Nebraska
He relied heavily on his "Kitchen Cabinet"; Baker, Regan, Duberstein, Deaver, Meese, Nancy, etc; to tell him what he thought.

He knew he was out of his depth and deferred accordingly.

I think that was a good thing; yes, perhaps even a very, very good thing.

Mar 2018
USA
Yeah, I voted the "horrible" option, but you're right, the term greedy is a strange adjective to use to describe him.

The only way I could see the word applying is if one were to say it was greedy of his administration to sell weapons to Iran in order to get the funding needed to keep up the Contras in Nicaragua. So perhaps greed because his administration wouldn't accept "no" from Congress, so instead they went around the legislature? Even so, still a strange adjective, I agree.

Similar History Discussions