The greatest example of "the strongest commander VS the weakest commander"

Which pair is the greatest example of "the strongest commander VS the weakest commander"

• Napoleon Bonaparte VS Johann Peter Beaulieu

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Napoleon Bonaparte VS Karl Mack von Leiberich

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Frederick the Great VS Charles of Lorraine

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Yamashita Tomoyuki VS Arthur Percival

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Robert the Bruce VS Edward II

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Georgy Zhukov VS Frederich Paulus

• Albert Kesselring VS Mark Clark

• Erwin Rommel VS Lloyd Fredendall

• Robert Lee VS George McClellan

• Issac Brock + Tecumseu VS William Hull

• other ideas (please specific)

• Total voters
Nov 2011
Ohio, USA
Of these, Napoleon vs. Mack is most appropriate. Beaulieu was simply old and completely unaware of who he was facing, whereas Mack just plain rope-a-doped.

Other great examples here are Lennart Torstenssen vs Matthias Gallas or N. B. Forrest vs Samuel Sturgis.

Nov 2010
Cornwall
Barcaly de Tolly v Napoleon in 1812. at that moment Barclay was teh best of commanders and Napoleon the worst.
Whereas in 1811 it was the other way round. I've read Barclay described as incompetent (prior to Kutuzov's return) but I know posters disagree.

Not sure Napoleon was around too long after Moscow to be honest. Left the hard stuff to people like Davout and Ney

For the question - Almoravid Emir Yusuf Ibn Tashufin against Alfonso VI or any of his brainless Castillian commanders

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
Whereas in 1811 it was the other way round. I've read Barclay described as incompetent (prior to Kutuzov's return) but I know posters disagree.
They were not opposed in 1811.

In what way was Barclay incompetent? He comprehensively strategically out thought Napoleon. Simply does not get teh credit he deserved. He was teh main force in re-organizing, and reforming the Russian Army. Proven tatcial leader, Brave. aside from Charisma one of the best all round Generals of the period.

Kutuzov contribution was incompetent. The telfon nature of Kutuzov's reputation puzzles me. He was in command at Austerlitz, He leadership at Borodino was basically non exsistent, he mis depoyed the army which was only saved due to the Herioic efforts of Bagration and Barclay.

Napoleon's perofmaince in 1812 was the worst by any general of the Period. Most of Mack's men survived.

Similar History Discussions