The Greatest "father and son" in the Ancient world

Nov 2018
Wales
My personal top 3:

1.Philip II of Macedon and Alexander the Great

2.Hamilca Barca and Hannibal Barca

3.Antigonus I Monophthalmus and Demetrius I (???)

Well I am not very sure about the last one, maybe Pepi I and Pepi II should rank 3?

Would like to hear your versions.
It's possibly easier to go in the opposite direction, at least as far as England is concerned?

Henry II and Richard I.
Henry II and John.
Edward I and Edward II.
Henry V and Henry VI.
Henry VII and Henry VIII
Henry VIII and Elizabeth I

It's possibly easier to go in the opposite direction, at least as far as England is concerned?

Henry II and Richard I.
Henry II and John.
Edward I and Edward II.
Henry V and Henry VI.
Henry VII and Henry VIII
Henry VIII and Elizabeth I
I don't know my medieval history that well, but John and Henry VI do not strike me as great leaders.

In any case, I'd give Philip and Alexander number 1 and Hamilcar and Hannibal number 2. My main area is the emperors of Rome, but there is no biological father-son sequence that particularly impresses me. Constantius I seems to have been a competent military leader, and his son was the impressive Constantine I, but it's hard to get a good gauge of Constantius when he ruled in the shadow of three other emperors (Diocletian, Maximian and Galerius) and the source tradition on his rule his awash with manufactured praise necessitated by the fact that he was Constantine's father.

macon

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Slovenia
In any case, I'd give Philip and Alexander number 1 and Hamilcar and Hannibal number 2. My main area is the emperors of Rome, but there is no biological father-son sequence that particularly impresses me. Constantius I seems to have been a competent military leader, and his son was the impressive Constantine I, but it's hard to get a good gauge of Constantius when he ruled in the shadow of three other emperors (Diocletian, Maximian and Galerius) and the source tradition on his rule his awash with manufactured praise necessitated by the fact that he was Constantine's father.
Vespasian, Titus and Domitian were probably the best father-son succession.

Sep 2014
Texas
They belong to a same fairytale league as Uther Pendragon and king Arthur.
Although I do not believe in Solomon and David as they are presented in the Old testament, I do believe there was a real live warrior who filled David's shoes. I will not attempt his name, but there was a discussion about him here on Historium, which is where I learned about him. As for Solomon, he could have been real, but his fabulousness was based on the court of Cyrus the Great. The man and his religion greatly influenced the polytheistic Jews.

And my candidate for King Arthur is Cormac mac Art ..a real man who converted to Christianity and still claimed an ancient Irish god warned him not to go to the final battle that cost him his eye and kingship. In fact I think Constantine may have encountered the same god, but that is a different story for another time.

Similar History Discussions