The greatest speeches of all time

Tercios Espanoles

Ad Honorem
Mar 2014
Beneath a cold sun, a grey sun, a Heretic sun...
We choose to go to the moon!
We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy but because they are hard!

Full speech here: JFK RICE MOON SPEECH

Last edited:

Triceratops

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Late Cretaceous
"Soldiers! You are hungry and naked; the government owes you much but can give you nothing The patience and courage which you have displayed amongst these rocks are admirable; but they bring you no glory - not a glimmer falls on you. I will lead you into the most fertile plains on earth. Rich provinces, opulent towns, all shall be at your disposal; there you will find honour, glory and riches.
Soldiers of Italy! Will you be lacking in courage and endurance ?"

General Bonaparte to the Army of Italy, 27th March 1796.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
Fondly do we hope, fervently do we pray, that this mighty scourge of war may speedily pass away.
Yet, if God wills that it continue until all the wealth piled by the bondsman's two hundred and fifty years of unrequited toil shall be sunk,
and until every drop of blood drawn with the lash shall be paid by another drawn with the sword,
as was said three thousand years ago, so still it must be said "the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether."

With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right,
let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan,
to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations.

Abraham Lincoln

Reactions: Kotromanic
Mar 2018
UK
By recorded I'm assuming that a written record is sufficient.

If so, then Perciles Funeral Oration Speech is one commonly cited as amongst the all time great.

Dec 2017
Regnum Teutonicum
Most of the speeches you mentioned don't qualify for this thread, because they haven't been recorded.

Unless a German friend misled me
Kennedy "Ich bin ein berliner " would be understood as " I am a little sausage "
a Berliner is supposed to be to delicatessen what Hamburger is to sandwich
I am sorry to say, he misled you. There nothing about a sausage, but there is this weird urban legend, that he said, that he is a donut and the people laughed. That is not true.
1. A Berliner is not a Donut, even if some of them are somewhat similar.
2. There are no people laughing, everybody can hear that for himself/herself.
3. In this part of Germany, Berliner are called Pfannkuchen
4. This urban legend started years later and earliest known records use this as a joke
5. Of course do Berliner call themselves Berliner
6. It is as ridiculous as if the German chancellor would say in a divided New York "I am a New Yorker" and someone would say, "Oh, he called himself a magazine".

Corvidius

Ad Honorem
Jul 2017
Crows nest
It's all in the "ein" and should he have used it or not. As he was not in fact a Berliner born and bred, then use of "ein" was okay, but for an English audience it leaves wiggle room to have some fun and stretch things. This seems an odd occurrence of a joke about use of German not being seen by Germans, not least because there is no joke here for a German speaker, only foreigners.