The Historical accuracy of the film, "The last of the Mohicans"

Aug 2017
Canada

How historically accurate is the "The Last of the Mohicans", staring Daniel day Lewis. This film includes the french indian war, the fort william henry massacre, native american history, Iroquois confederacy, Wabanaki Confederacy, Québec history and more! NBS History and History Clarified collaborated to make this history film review.

Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
I've read an account of the massacre of Fort William Henry and it did not go down as depicted in the movie. Montcalm did not allow or encourage his native allies to attack the defeated troops, it happened because there were numerous tribes involved an some of them felt cheated out of plunder.

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
I've read an account of the massacre of Fort William Henry and it did not go down as depicted in the movie. Montcalm did not allow or encourage his native allies to attack the defeated troops, it happened because there were numerous tribes involved an some of them felt cheated out of plunder.
Some artistic license was definitely taken with Montcalm in the film. The real Marquis de Montcalm tried to prevent the massacre.

Aug 2017
Canada
I live and grew up in Quebec Canada, so I was taught a very propaganda based history in high school and despite even that, my education about Montcalm was better then the films interpretation (Quebec greatly slanders Montcalm in its curriculum). The fort William Henry massacre is also such a propaganda filled event, the US was using it at the time to bash on its enemy, but as with most propaganda in history its influenced contemporary interpretations.

Similar History Discussions