The Historical Origin of Lancelot

Moros

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Is it true that King Arthur is a Celtic legend?
King Arthur, was the vestige of a Romano-British aristocracy.

His close and his extended family bore Latin names (Aurelius, Constans, Constantine, Octavius). His wife descended from a noble Roman family, and so did his grandmother (the wife of Uther Pendragon). His own ancestors were settlers in Brittany, granted by the Roman Maximus Magnus.

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
I've made a bit of geographical research and the isle of Angelsey presents some natural lakes [quite little]. There is anyway one which deserves some attention: Llyn Llywenan. It's natural, 1.1km X 0.4km, [sure not impressive for me ... I live on one of the greatest Alpine lakes ... Lago Maggiore] and not far from Llangwyllog. It presents a little isle and some archaeological neolithic sites.
Well I never expected Llyn Llywenan to be mentioned here.

MAGolding

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
Grandmother? Don’t you mean his mother?
I can't answer for Moros and the theories he might have about Arthur's family but "grandmother" looks like a typing error to me.

But maybe Moros believes Arthur's grandfather Constantine was emperor Constantine III and has a theory that Uther Pendragon was Arthur's grandfather and not father, thus lessening the chronological improbability of Constantine III being the grandfather of someone living when Arthur allegedly did.

Moros

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
I can't answer for Moros and the theories he might have about Arthur's family but "grandmother" looks like a typing error to me.
There was indeed a typo. Apologies for not correcting it. I should have typed "...his grandmother (the mother of Uther Pendragon)".

According to Geoffrey of Monmouth, Constantine was married "to a lady, descended from a noble Roman family, whom archbishop Guithelin had educated." She was Arthur's grandmother. Arthur married a woman " descended from a noble family of Romans, who was educated under duke Cador."

Similar History Discussions