Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia

Todd Feinman

Ad Honorem
Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
It is our generation and the previous generation that is recalcitrant. The current generation is trying to clean up the mess. Do your art for them and their kids.
I admire your positive attitude, Dan. I hate to know I am a part of it, and it's happening around the clock. I hope the kids can clean up our mess if we don't blow things up, first. Maybe there is some solace in the creation of art while the world burns down around you. Hey! there's a painting in that. Hmmmm. Man, what a disaster we have created, though.

fascinating

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
I'm getting to the point where I don't even feel like doing art anymore. For what? a species that is so self-centered and is destroying the planet? Dunno..
Well you could first of all make sure that you are not doing anything to destroy the planet; that would be a start. Others, including me, might join you.

fascinating

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
It's tough; participating in society daily contributes to the problem..
Is it not possible to walk or cycle instead of using a car? Can you not get your electricity generated sustainably? You don't throw your plastic waste in the oceans do you, it gets collected and is disposed of properly?

HackneyedScribe

Ad Honorem
Feb 2011
Some cities already have a "spread out" landscape in which it's impossible to go anywhere without a car. School? Needs a car. Grocery store? Needs a car. Want to switch a lightbulb? Needs a car. Human lifestyle won't change unless you change the human environment. Humans might go so far as to run into a burning building to save a pet because it gives an immediate return. Saving the environment don't have immediate returns. Human brains aren't wired to make those types of sacrifices.

Todd Feinman

Ad Honorem
Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
Some cities already have a "spread out" landscape in which it's impossible to go anywhere without a car. School? Needs a car. Grocery store? Needs a car. Want to switch a lightbulb? Needs a car. Human lifestyle won't change unless you change the human environment. Humans might go so far as to run into a burning building to save a pet because it gives an immediate return. Saving the environment don't have immediate returns. Human brains aren't wired to make those types of sacrifices.
It gets complicated, and almost impossible not to contribute to the problem, but you can do what you can to offset your damage as fascinating says. Nevertheless, things are not going well in the world, and I 'd be shocked if we stopped and reversed things in time, honestly.