The history of Climate Change

fascinating

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Some cities already have a "spread out" landscape in which it's impossible to go anywhere without a car. School? Needs a car. Grocery store? Needs a car. Want to switch a lightbulb? Needs a car. Human lifestyle won't change unless you change the human environment. Humans might go so far as to run into a burning building to save a pet because it gives an immediate return. Saving the environment don't have immediate returns. Human brains aren't wired to make those types of sacrifices.
There are such things as school buses aren't there? Don't people have local convenience stores which are accessible by bicycle, or even walking? (We are supposed to do 10,000 steps a day, which is about 4 miles). Such activity would do us nothing but good (provided we don't have an accident). We aren't being asked to go into the army and fight a war you know, as our grandparents were, just make changes that will do us all good.

Of course the vast majority of car miles are done going to place of work. Public transport is the answer, but it would need subsidy to get started and commitment of a substantial number of people to make it pay for itself - you're right, it ain't gonna happen.

Technology to utilise solar energy and have electric cars which are quiet and don't pollute will be the probable solution.

HackneyedScribe

Ad Honorem
Feb 2011
Public transport was a solution, prior to the mass distribution of private transportation. If people all start using public transports it would help unclog the streets. But the step to get there means people must first choose to deal with traffic jams standing in a crowded bus vs sitting in the privacy of their own car. Only once most people decide to do that would we not have to deal with traffic jams at all. I'm not seeing that leap happening if people have their own cars though. Just expecting everyone to make sacrifices for the common good without a direct reward to the individual making the sacrifice, ....it won't work for the same reason communism won't work. Raising awareness isn't enough, laws/regulations/societal restructuring/manipulating values(ie maybe teenagers aren't entitled to a car) by the government needs to be in place. Human nature can't change, but you can have regulations that take human nature into account. Even government structure need to change. Right now governments have a great incentive to do what they can to win the next election, but you can't solve environmental problems with only one or two term limits so there's high incentive to redirect focus on other things politicians can brag about.

Last edited:

Cepheus

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Cepheus, before I watch a 40 minute video, please tell me what it is about.
We are in a thread on climate change and it is the well known American climatologist Patrick Michaels. What do you think the video could be about ?

Hint: he is NOT talking about the latest Parisian fashions.

Additionally, if all of that was not enough of a clue, no one is making you watch a 40 minute video to find out what the video is about. You could click out of the video in 10 seconds. Right ?

Cepheus

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
There are such things as school buses aren't there? Don't people have local convenience stores which are accessible by bicycle, or even walking? (We are supposed to do 10,000 steps a day, which is about 4 miles). Such activity would do us nothing but good (provided we don't have an accident). We aren't being asked to go into the army and fight a war you know, as our grandparents were, just make changes that will do us all good.

Of course the vast majority of car miles are done going to place of work. Public transport is the answer, but it would need subsidy to get started and commitment of a substantial number of people to make it pay for itself - you're right, it ain't gonna happen.

Technology to utilise solar energy and have electric cars which are quiet and don't pollute will be the probable solution.
Utopian nonsense. But thanks for alerting us to your elitist and absurd "such activity would do us nothing but good" mindset as part of the "answer."

Convenience stores are not going to replace grocery stores and families cannot operate functionally with bicycles in urban areas or for that matter, most of the geographic areas in the United States.

Even in Germany, with the exceptional public transport assets available, I still needed to rent a car on occasion.

Obviously, the " We aren't being asked to go into the army..." tripe is more false dichotomy blather which does nothing for your argument and underscores the depravity of your biased point-of-view.

Oct 2014
California
Some of you think everyone lives in a city or near a train line and all have office jobs.
Well, a whole lot of good people live in other places and have service jobs where one goes to where the work is and that location changes. Plumbers, builders, gardeners, service care providers, etc. all drive to their customer's homes or businesses to perform their work. Punishing them with higher fuel taxes because they can't use a bus or train is very destructive to everyone's economy.

fascinating

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
We are in a thread on climate change and it is the well known American climatologist Patrick Michaels. What do you think the video could be about ?

Hint: he is NOT talking about the latest Parisian fashions.

Additionally, if all of that was not enough of a clue, no one is making you watch a 40 minute video to find out what the video is about. You could click out of the video in 10 seconds. Right ?
I played the first 10 seconds, it included lots of flag waving, noise, and the title "Life, Liberty and Levin". I am interested in why you posted this. In a sentence, what kind of information does it give about the history of climate change?

Last edited:

fascinating

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Utopian nonsense.
Which part is utopian nonesense? Saying that "it ain't gonna happen" or saying "we will all have electric cars" . It won't be "Don't people have local convenience stores which are accessible by bicycle, or even walking?" because that is just a question.

But thanks for alerting us to your elitist and absurd "such activity would do us nothing but good" mindset as part of the "answer."
You are suggesting that it is wrong to say that the activity of using a bicycle to do a few miles a day would do us nothing but good? Why? Saying my remark is "elitist" is meaningless.

Even in Germany, with the exceptional public transport assets available, I still needed to rent a car on occasion.
Ah, so only "on occasion".

Convenience stores are not going to replace grocery stores and families cannot operate functionally with bicycles in urban areas or for that matter, most of the geographic areas in the United States.
I wonder how families managed before nearly everyone had a car.

Obviously, the " We aren't being asked to go into the army..." tripe
No, it is NOT tripe, because we are not being asked to go into the army.