The History of Coffee

Dec 2018
Arizona
thKDWUAEYH.jpg
For several hundred years, the coffee table has been the place to go to organize plans for the day. We begin the day with the transformative smell oozing out tickling our nose. The smell almost evokes a sense of de sha vu when we were at our best. The caffeine slowly brings you safely out of your morning trance into the new day. But just where did Coffee come from and when did it become the World’s favorite drink beverage? The New Podcast; Someone say coffee on the Robert Stogner Show try’s to answer some of these questions in an informative way with a somewhat amusing sense of humor.
Please Check it out Download MP3 or stream to play!
<Link removed by mod>

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
The history of coffee began in the eighteenth century. Coffee originates from the highlands of Ethiopia (possibly with crops in Sudan and Kenya) transported by the Moors to Egypt and Europe.

The origin of the word coffee is Arabic.

coffee - café

Generally in my country when you have just had lunch or dinner you drink the coffee accompanied with brandy Aguardente etc.

Also in countries of Romance languages are similar.

Chlodio

Ad Honorem
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Americans used to drink tea just like our British founders until the British put a tax on tea in the 1760s. Americans responded with a boycot of tea and switched to coffee. (The same British tax led to the Boston Tea Party in 1773.)

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
I drink a LOT of fresh brewed coffee, because I think life's too short to drink instant coffee or cheap wine.

Australis has a robust coffee culture, with coffee taking over from tea as the national drink some time ago. Personally, I blame tea bags Plus of course the importation of reasonably cheap coffee beans .I think .Let's check: Not often I manage to get the central market to buy beans roasted by the vendor. I usually compromise on the best coffee I can get at the supermarket. The brands are Vittorio and Lavazza ,which usually sell for about $A37 a kg about $US 16 a pound.. I almost always manage to get it on half price sales. If not, I buy the lower quality Harris or Timms.

Starbucks failed to make much of impression on Australia. Today I think there may be few Starbucks, but I've never seen one. The reason Starbucks failed, is they didn't do their due diligence. Instead, they arrogantly assumed they could simply transplant US Starbucks in Australia. Unfortunately for them, Australia already had a vibrant cafe culture in every state, and it's only kept growing.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Oh, coffee the gift from the old gods. One of the best beverage ever. Caffeine is a drug that increases intellectual acuity and brain health if used correctly.
Best coffee I've ever had was at a Greek restaurant; small cup, lots of coffee and lots of sugar. I just about floated back to work.,

Not sure how much I have daily. I think it's about 10 demitasse. I think there has been caffeine, in my system since at least 1971

Apr 2017
Lemuria
Similar to wine.Only he does not have caffeine, he has alcohol.
Wine dulls your senses though and will destroy your liver if drunk as regularly as coffee. Wine however has some health benefits, especially for the heart. Coffee also has some negative aspects. It will dehydrate you if you do not drink enough water. This can damage your kidney.

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
I drink a LOT of fresh brewed coffee, because I think life's too short to drink instant coffee or cheap wine.

Australis has a robust coffee culture, with coffee taking over from tea as the national drink some time ago. Personally, I blame tea bags Plus of course the importation of reasonably cheap coffee beans .I think .Let's check: Not often I manage to get the central market to buy beans roasted by the vendor. I usually compromise on the best coffee I can get at the supermarket. The brands are Vittorio and Lavazza ,which usually sell for about $A37 a kg about $US 16 a pound.. I almost always manage to get it on half price sales. If not, I buy the lower quality Harris or Timms.

Starbucks failed to make much of impression on Australia. Today I think there may be few Starbucks, but I've never seen one. The reason Starbucks failed, is they didn't do their due diligence. Instead, they arrogantly assumed they could simply transplant US Starbucks in Australia. Unfortunately for them, Australia already had a vibrant cafe culture in every state, and it's only kept growing.
Back in the day my father and grandmother would switch between the perculator and instant coffee, depending upon their time schedule. My grandmother started giving me coffee as a child, bless her soul, as she said back during the Great Depression she and her siblings ate bread dipped in coffee for their meal. Once I left home, I never chose instant coffee again. It just does not compare. Recently bought a Keurig, after having a coffee pot complete with a bean grinder at the top. I can't say the Keurig tastes better than one where the beans are ground fresh as it brews, but given the amount of coffee I drink - which is a great deal, the Keurig sure is more convenient and easier to keep cleaned and maintained. On a cold day like today (5 degrees Fahrenheit) a little bit of Bailey's Irish Cream in the coffee feels right.

Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
Wine dulls your senses though and will destroy your liver if drunk as regularly as coffee. Wine however has some health benefits, especially for the heart. Coffee also has some negative aspects. It will dehydrate you if you do not drink enough water. This can damage your kidney.
The best wine that does the heart well is port wine.

Water is also bad, but if you drink in moderation all drinks are good.
I've always heard, I do not confirm, the best coffee in the world is. SãoTomé and Principe - Africa

Similar History Discussions