The History of Coffee

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Back in the day my father and grandmother would switch between the perculator and instant coffee, depending upon their time schedule. My grandmother started giving me coffee as a child, bless her soul, as she said back during the Great Depression she and her siblings ate bread dipped in coffee for their meal. Once I left home, I never chose instant coffee again. It just does not compare. Recently bought a Keurig, after having a coffee pot complete with a bean grinder at the top. I can't say the Keurig tastes better than one where the beans are ground fresh as it brews, but given the amount of coffee I drink - which is a great deal, the Keurig sure is more convenient and easier to keep cleaned and maintained. On a cold day like today (5 degrees Fahrenheit) a little bit of Bailey's Irish Cream in the coffee feels right.
What kind of grinder do you use? Ie blade or burr?

I confess I use a blade grinder. A friend has burr grinder, drinks the same brads of coffeeI do and makes it the same way; didn't taste better to me.

My favourite way of making coffee is with a manual Italian style percolator, where the water is forced through the coffee at pressure, once. Don't have one any more because . I burnt out 3 by forgetting they were on the stove. I now use an auto drum percolator. Not ideal, but far less chance of burning my house down :oops:

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Similar to wine.Only he does not have caffeine, he has alcohol.
Just so.

PLUS you can't lose your driving licence for driving with an excess of coffee.

The worst thing coffee will produce in the person is a headache. The worst things wine will produce are insanity and death.

God I miss wine.

Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
It didn't do that to me. Didn't even have hangovers for a long time. It just worked quietly, destroying my liver. I stopped in time, and my liver was Ok in 6 months.

This June 17 years sober. 16 without a cigarette (THAT was harder to quit than alcohol)
Congrats on the giving up smoking! I used to smoke too. Tobacco is an evil demon.

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
What kind of grinder do you use? Ie blade or burr?

I confess I use a blade grinder. A friend has burr grinder, drinks the same brads of coffeeI do and makes it the same way; didn't taste better to me.

My favourite way of making coffee is with a manual Italian style percolator, where the water is forced through the coffee at pressure, once. Don't have one any more because . I burnt out 3 by forgetting they were on the stove. I now use an auto drum percolator. Not ideal, but far less chance of burning my house down :oops:
I had a blade (Cuisinart), but went to a Keurig about 1 year ago because I drink so much coffee and it is so convenient. My grandmother had one of those old percolators. Some of my most pleasant childhood memories are going to visit for the weekend. My grandmother and I would arise about 6 a.m. She would start the perculator and then make homemade donuts while we waited. My childhood recollection is a full pot took about 20 or 25 minutes to brew. We would then have donuts and coffee for breakfast. She sparked my interest in history, constantly talking about her knowledge of the "old country" and her life, as a child, in a very ethnically mixed neighborhood: Italians, Jews, Syrians, Poles and African Americans all occupied her neighborhood, many having recently immigrated (or migrated in the case of the African Americans).

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
The history of coffee began in the eighteenth century. Coffee originates from the highlands of Ethiopia (possibly with crops in Sudan and Kenya) transported by the Moors to Egypt and Europe.

The origin of the word coffee is Arabic.

coffee - café

Generally in my country when you have just had lunch or dinner you drink the coffee accompanied with brandy Aguardente etc.

Also in countries of Romance languages are similar.
Coffee became popular in the Europe in 18th century but it was popular in other places before then. My understanding that the Turks left coffee behind after their failed 2nd siege of Vienna, and in the 17th century coffee drinking began in Venice after being introduced from.Muslim.lands.

It was in 17th century coffee became popular in England.

Apr 2017
Lemuria
Just so.

PLUS you can't lose your driving licence for driving with an excess of coffee.

The worst thing coffee will produce in the person is a headache. The worst things wine will produce are insanity and death.

God I miss wine.
The problem is when you don't have your usual dose of coffee and driving. That's illegal. The best coffee I've had was from an Italian girl. She made it in a percolator and it was so strong and aromatic (from Italy) that it was served in a tiny cup. :)

Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
Formerly the Portuguese added the tail of the codfish in the coffee to give better flavor to the coffee

photo of the old machine, made the coffee separately and then filled the machine with the coffee plus the cod's tail for coffee to have more flavor.

today in my country drinks more espresso or instant coffee as they say, because the machines are more modern

Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
Formerly the Portuguese added the tail of the codfish in the coffee to give better flavor to th

photo of the old machine, made the coffee separately and then filled the machine with the coffee plus the cod's tail for coffee to have more flavor.

today in my country drinks more espresso or instant coffee as they say, because the machines are more modern
A machine that puts....Codfish.. in.. in.. coffee?! o_O. By all that is holy.. Repent ye from your vile practices!
There is a special place for codfish tail drinkers and civet butt slurpers...

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions