The History of Coffee

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
Coffee memories ,
...granulated ....instant , with a hot water urn on a table , the milk ran out early in the morning
a row of safety helmets hang on hooks or lies on the floor
a bunch of engineers in variously stained overalls shuffle their safety boots while sipping the foul stuff
pondering what to do next to fix things .

Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
A machine that puts....Codfish.. in.. in.. coffee?! o_O. By all that is holy.. Repent ye from your vile practices!
There is a special place for codfish tail drinkers and civet butt slurpers...
Friend are Portuguese traditions, at the moment are the bars that use this tradition, but I guarantee you 15 or 20 liters of coffee with the tail of the codfish the flavor of the coffee is very good.

On the quality of coffee, he knew that one of the biggest smuggling of coffee was between Portugal and Spain in the time of the dictatorship of both countries. The Spaniards bought a lot of coffee from Portugal. There were many smugglers. Coffee was from the colonies of Portuguese Africa. Coffee has its secrets about its treatment. I mean that coffee treated in Portugal was the best.

Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
Friend are Portuguese traditions, at the moment are the bars that use this tradition, but I guarantee you 15 or 20 liters of coffee with the tail of the codfish the flavor of the coffee is very good.
Just kidding! It does sound interesting; I will put it on the bucket list! Codfish tail latte... Hmm.. :)

Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
Todd Feinman certainly knows the port wine, the Portuguese drink it like everyone else, he knows that Portuguese gastronomy uses port wine, but they also use it in confectionery.

Bolo Rei » King Cake made with port wine.

Francesinha made with port wine.

Or you'll be amazed too?

Yes the coffee takes the tail of the Cod for coffee to have more flavor, it is a Portuguese tradition that is part of our culture, has the example of port wine.

wine soup » foto sopa de vinho

We also have beer soups.

Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
Todd Feinman certainly knows the port wine, the Portuguese drink it like everyone else, he knows that Portuguese gastronomy uses port wine, but they also use it in confectionery.

Or you'll be amazed too?

Yes the coffee takes the tail of the Cod for coffee to have more flavor, it is a Portuguese tradition that is part of our culture, has the example of port wine.

We also have beer soups.
I like all of that!! Looks good. :p I actually like good fruitcake.

royal744

Ad Honorem
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
I drink a LOT of fresh brewed coffee, because I think life's too short to drink instant coffee or cheap wine.

Australis has a robust coffee culture, with coffee taking over from tea as the national drink some time ago. Personally, I blame tea bags Plus of course the importation of reasonably cheap coffee beans .I think .Let's check: Not often I manage to get the central market to buy beans roasted by the vendor. I usually compromise on the best coffee I can get at the supermarket. The brands are Vittorio and Lavazza ,which usually sell for about $A37 a kg about $US 16 a pound.. I almost always manage to get it on half price sales. If not, I buy the lower quality Harris or Timms.

Starbucks failed to make much of impression on Australia. Today I think there may be few Starbucks, but I've never seen one. The reason Starbucks failed, is they didn't do their due diligence. Instead, they arrogantly assumed they could simply transplant US Starbucks in Australia. Unfortunately for them, Australia already had a vibrant cafe culture in every state, and it's only kept growing.
A few years ago, when passing through London on my way to Saudi Arabia, I spent many an afternoon sipping coffee at one of the local Starbucks there.

royal744

Ad Honorem
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
T
What kind of grinder do you use? Ie blade or burr?

I confess I use a blade grinder. A friend has burr grinder, drinks the same brads of coffeeI do and makes it the same way; didn't taste better to me.

My favourite way of making coffee is with a manual Italian style percolator, where the water is forced through the coffee at pressure, once. Don't have one any more because . I burnt out 3 by forgetting they were on the stove. I now use an auto drum percolator. Not ideal, but far less chance of burning my house down :oops:
The word “Keurig” means “perfect” in Dutch.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
T

The word “Keurig” means “perfect” in Dutch.
Right.Is it blade or burr? Coffee snobs insist that blade grinders are inferior because they get hot during grinding. Can't say I've ever noticed.

Interesting claim by coffee snob site: They argue that If you must buy your coffee at a supermarket, buy the home brand, it will simply taste better.

The reason given is that the home brand has a fast turnover, so is a lot fresher. I did a comparison between the supermarket's home brand beans @ $12 a kg vs Vittorio and Lavazza premium brands with rrp of around $37 kg.

What I found: premium brands tended to be over 6 months old. Home brand usually less than 3 months.

Taste: tried the home brand, and in it was quite nice. But still prefer the premium brands. If I can get to the central market, I can get beans roasted within a few days ago, and they are terrific, even the cheaper beans.

Conclusion; Coffee snobs do a lot of talking from their fundamental orifices. Recommendation; buy what you enjoy. Stuff the snobs..

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia

Or you'll be amazed too?

We also have beer soups.
Oh,How tragic!

I have a very sweet tooth and love booze.. I also have type 2 diabetes. That means i am allowed ONE small mouthful of those deserts. Also 6 cashew nuts----i'm sure you get the idea; Who told me? The dietician at the Diabetes Clinic. I need to accept that, unless I want to go into diabetic coma and die.--not supposed to drink alcohol, at all.

Similar History Discussions