The history of the scots language

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
By modern Scotland I mean that most Scots today will carry on speaking the language of convenience. Whether that language is Queens English or American English, I'm not sure but it definitely isn't Gaelic.
Was more of a (failed) joke
Willemple.
I read somewhere that modern English and therefore Scots is most closely related to Frisian. As a you are a speaker of Frisian, I would be interested to know whether you agree with that or not.
I don't speak it (can usually understand them however), but I think it is a little closer to English than to Dutch.
But it is hard for me to say as I am rather fluent in both, so I switch subconsciously. Like when I am writing this post I am thinking in English, while I havent actively changed my mindset or something similar.

Belgarion

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Australia
A little bit of topic but related.

All emergency and police vehicles in the whole of Scotland have had their markings made in Gaelic as well as English at great expense. It is only one example of how Highland Gaelic culture is being foisted on the whole country regardless of any historical reality. Gaelic was never widely spoken in the south and east of the country and there are today probably a handful of people in these areas that can speak Gaelic with any competence. It sometimes feels that lowland and north eastern history and culture are totally swamped by Walter Scotts romantic imaginations.

I would be interested on others opinions as to how they feel about the hijacking of history and the burying of inconveniant historical reality for modern nationalistic political reasons?

My wife was born and raised in South Ayrshire. It was from her I first heard the term "teuchter" ('chook-ter' is the closest I can get to it in English) which is rather derogatory slang for someone from the Highlands. She was a very passionate Scot but also disliked the stereotypical portrayal of Scots in the media. When the movie "Braveheart" came out she was very vocal about its overall inaccuracy and its cartoon like portrayal of Willam Wallace. Her own speech when talking to family and friends was so laced with Scots words and expressions that it was for all intents a separate language to English. But it was not Gaelic. We had almost 39 years together and I was still hearing new Scottish words.