The Hohenstaufen Dynasty lasted a few centuries more

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Florania
Featuring prominent figures such as Frederick I Barbarossa and Frederick II Wonder of the World, the Hohenstaufen Dynasty
might seem more attractive than the Habsburg Dynasty.
Unfortunately, while a daughter of Frederick II, Anna, lived to be 76 or 77, none of his sons lived pass 40.....
If we exclude the child mortality, many medieval and ancient people lived to fairly ripe age.
It is NOT guaranteed that the Hohenstaufen Dynasty would continue to produce prodigies such as Frederick I and Frederick II;
then, the Hapsburgs did not provide many monarchs of quality.
Jocularly named "the Castle of the Lower Torso" in Chinese, the Hapsburgs were known for severe inbreeding; even though they
ruled Europe for quite some times, the author Rebecca West remarked:
645 years of the Hapsburg dynasty produced “no genius, only two rulers of ability . . . , countless dullards, and not a few imbeciles and lunatics.
The mental and physical state of Charles II of Spain was not his fault at all.
Another case is Ferdinand I of Austria:
Who were the rulers of ability Rebecca West talking about?

Reactions: Futurist

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
Featuring prominent figures such as Frederick I Barbarossa and Frederick II Wonder of the World, the Hohenstaufen Dynasty
might seem more attractive than the Habsburg Dynasty.
Unfortunately, while a daughter of Frederick II, Anna, lived to be 76 or 77, none of his sons lived pass 40.....
Enzo did, but for the dynastic bit to quite work it is Conrad would have had to live a long and successful life.

In the end the Papacy had it in for the Hohenstaufens, and the Capetingian dynasty over in France was on the make, and perfectly happy to act as muscle and hatchet-men, to their own profit, on behalf of the Pope.

MAGolding

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
As I wrote in post # 14 in the thread: Were there any benefits from Mongolian conquests? If any, what were they? "It's an ill wind that blows no good" and also "it's a good wind that blows no ill".

Even the worst disasters where the most people are killed benefit some people in later generations, namely the people who are born because all of the deaths cause some people to marry and have children with persons they otherwise would not have mated with.

Obviously the Hohenstaufen dynasty lasting for a few centuries more would have been very good for the Hohenstaufen dynasty itself and for whatever historic member of it lived longer than in our timeline, as well as for all of his descendants who would be born who weren't born in our timeline.

Of course equally it would have been bad for all of the people who were born in our timeline who wouldn't be born in this alternate universe because one of their ancestors married a member of the Hohenstaufen dynasty instead of who they married in our timeline.

Considering the time that it takes for one person to become the ancestor of every single human alive, a few thousand years, it seems obvious that the two alternate universes would have totally different populations of humans a few thousand years after the moment they diverged, and for all of the possibly hundreds of thousands or millions of future years that humans and members of species descended from humans might survive.

But no matter which group of people are born in an alternate universe, all people born in all alternate universes deserve that the future of their alternate universe is a good as possible, with as few terrible crimes and natural disasters as possible.

But aside from such personal matters, it seems obvious to me that the history of the world would be better in any alternate universe where the Hohenstaufen dynasty lasted centuries longer and thus that the various rebels against them were far less successful than in our timeline. And the people who would be born in that alternate universe would be born into an alternate universe where treason had been far less successful.

Last edited: