The Holodomor in Ukraine

Dec 2017
-------
Well, common slavonic/slavic has died out in 9 century AD. Your version is better "heavily influenced by old church slavonic" which is indeed as you pointed out old bulgarian.

I wrote my initial post and then i saw that you already answered the question. Apologies.
Don't mistake literally language with the languages spoken by people. In much of Europe Latin was literary language, for example. In what's today Ukraine, Belarus, Russia, Slovakia Old Church Slavonic was literary language only.

It is understood that Old Church Slavonic is old Bulgarian. In the case of Ukraine, Russia, Belarus Old Church Slavonic was adopted. It wasn't as similar as OCS in Bulgaria during that time.

Nov 2015
Kyiv
The Tale of Bygone Years was written around 1113 by monk Nestor. In the 12th century. Not in the 9th century.
- Of course, you are right. But the Treaty of Igor with the Greeks has signs of translation from the Greek original. And it is likely that Nestor used the original text of the 10th century.

Aug 2014
New York, USA
In Polish it is also 'na Ukrainie'. The term comes from the days when Ukraine was not a recognised separate state. Many Ukrainians go to Poland. There ,they teach Poles to say 'w Ukrainie'. Just like Russians certain Poles are getting annoyed over it.

However, Rus' was a recognised state. Yet, it's 'na Rusi'.
I think when people said 'na Rusi', they meant "on the land that is Rus", not "inside a country of Rus". There is a subtle difference here.

Also, as have been pointed out already, "Kievan Rus" is a made up term. "Kievan Rus" was already in decline at the time of Nestor, and would pretty much fracture and disintegrate ~20 years after the Primary Chronicle was written into separate principalities.

Similar History Discussions