The homer bias and military history

May 2019
Northern and Western hemispheres
A thing I've noticed when reading historical accounts of the world wars is that nations tend to exaggerate their contribution and their is a certain insularity which involves clinging to the operations that the home nation was involved in and having a limited understanding of other nations efforts. I can give an example(or some examples) if anyone wants. Does anyone else have these experiences?

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
This is certainly the case
each participating country see the world from its own viewpoint , there is few example of nationalism and being humble
also the source of knowledge are local and in the local language

Reactions: Kubis Gabcik
Apr 2014
Liverpool, England
Agreed - it is only natural and quite difficult to break out of. Based in Britain and mostly reliant on English language sources I have little trouble finding out about the US contribution along with British and Empire events. What the French Army did in 1940 is much harder to find out. Some French memoirs are available in translation, but apart from Weygand's and De Gaulle's memoirs they are mostly political, or civilian commentators. As for the Dutch and Belgians, it is hard to find any thing more than brief summaries.

Reactions: sparky

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
Yep , finding Hungarian sources about WW2 in English is a bit of a labor ,
pity