The Iberians

Labienus

Ad Honorem
Jul 2009
Montreal, Canada
Do you guys know a decent book on the Iberians, Lusitanians, Celtiberians, etc.?

I would really like to deepen my knowledge on these interesting civilizations.

Salah

Forum Staff
Oct 2009
Maryland
Osprey has a very detailed book on their weapons and equipment, Rome's Enemies Four: Spanish Armies 218 - 19 BC.

The Celtiberians are one of those historical groups I've always meant to study in some detail, but never gotten around to it. I look forward to other people's answers to this thread.

Labienus

Ad Honorem
Jul 2009
Montreal, Canada
Osprey has a very detailed book on their weapons and equipment, Rome's Enemies Four: Spanish Armies 218 - 19 BC.

The Celtiberians are one of those historical groups I've always meant to study in some detail, but never gotten around to it. I look forward to other people's answers to this thread.
Well I saw those osprey books and they are pretty nice. However, I am looking for a more global and cultural view of the Iberians.

Thanks for the recommendation however :D

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
I was navigating in the net when I felt here. This thread has 8 years… so I am raising it just to say that I like the overview made by Antonio Arribas in “Os Iberos”.

The original is in Spanish, but I just saw there is a English translation available:

https://www.amazon.com/Iberians-Antonio-Arribas/dp/B0007DPJWE

The book is from 1967, so it can be outdated in some themes, particularly about the archaeological findings in the last 50 years, but it deserves a look. Anyway, quite different point of view from the already mentioned Osprey book.

But any generic history book about the proto-history of the Iberian Peninsula mentions them in some detail (same can be said for the Lusitanians and the Celtiberians, just to mention these 3 groups). With this I mean that the first volume of any detailed History of Portugal (mostly for the Lusitanians), or History of Spain will give you information about them.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Entre-fenicios-visigodos-historia-Península/dp/8497347617

I have this little baby which is quite interesting, if you read Spanish as you do Tulius
Yes, that book is in my wish list (I think that it was you than mentioned it to me), but since I already have the period relatively well covered (“Protohistoria de la Península Ibérica”, by Martín Almagro et al; “El Mediterráneo y España en la Antiguedad”, by José María Blázquez, “Historia de España Angiuga (Tomo I), by José María Blázquez et al, and the old “Hispania” by Adolf Schulten, in its Spanish translation), besides some Portuguese ones, I will probably won’t buy that so soon…