The ideal capital for a Greater Russia

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I previously talked about the merits of moving Greater Germany's capital to Prague so that it would have a more centralized location. That said, though, here is another question for you:

What do you think that the ideal capital for a Greater Russia would have been?

I'm asking this question because both St. Petersburg (Petorgrad) and Moscow strike me as being too far to the west to be an effective symbol of a Greater Russia. Thus, I was wondering if there was the possibility of the capital of a Greater Russia being moved to some more central location.

For instance, could the city that is now known as Astana in real life have become a good new capital for a Greater Russia?

Any thoughts on this?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Constantinople, which would cement Russia's status as the sole successor to Byzantium and the fidei defensor of Orthodoxy.
Highly symbolic but very difficult to defend and would require travel either by sea or through another country in order to access the rest of Russia.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Astana is in Central Asia. Yekaterinburg or Novosibirsk would be more rational option.
Astana is in northern Central Asia, though. Basically, the reason that I gave it preference over the two cities that you mentioned is because a Greater Russia could expand deep into the south and thus might prefer to have a capital which is located in the center of the country but also a bit more focused to the south.

holoow

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Vilnius, Lithuania
Astana is in northern Central Asia, though. Basically, the reason that I gave it preference over the two cities that you mentioned is because a Greater Russia could expand deep into the south and thus might prefer to have a capital which is located in the center of the country but also a bit more focused to the south.
Into the South? It's impossible unless they want to conquest India, Pakistan and Afghanistan.

Aug 2014
New York, USA
Conquering Constantinople and Asia Minor was pretty important. Kicking the muslim Turks out of Europe and restoring Constantinople was on the Russian foreign policy agenda for hundreds of years. They fought many wars over it, up to and including WW1 (before the revolution).

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Izhevsk (600,000+) is the most centrally located city in Russia by current (2016) population distribution. It's east of Moscow in the western Urals. Of course population distributions change. I would keep it in Moscow for cultural and practical reasons. It's the largest city in Europe (over 10 million) and a transport hub that would be hard to replicate. Also if Russia expanded to the west, the population center would move closer to Moscow.

Izhevsk - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions