The ideal capital for a Greater Russia

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Izhevsk (600,000+) is the most centrally located city in Russia by current (2016) population distribution. It's east of Moscow in the western Urals. Of course population distributions change. I would keep it in Moscow for cultural and practical reasons. It's the largest city in Europe (over 10 million) and a transport hub that would be hard to replicate. Also if Russia expanded to the west, the population center would move closer to Moscow.

Izhevsk - Wikipedia
Do you have a source for the first sentence in your post here, please?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Moscow was at the centre of the river system of European Russia, allowing an easy link to Siberian territories via Kazan

The development of rails made the river transport less important (today, 1.3 billion tons are moved by railway, for 136 million tons through inner waterways)

At the time, it was as well probably close, a bit east, of the demographic centre of population

Since the Soviet development of Siberia and the loss of the western countries, it is clear the centre have shifted. It is stimated the center of population in Russia now is around Izhevsk

In terms of transport, Yekaterinburg is the node between the west and the east, and the third most powerful city in economics. If we want a "centred" capital, maybe that's the best option, also pointing to a more eastern politics (the city is considered to be "the window to Asia"). Other similar option could be Samara.

However, being in the mid isn't always the best choice for a capital, and any option is politically charged
Very interesting post! I honestly don't see much to disagree with you about in this post. :)

BTW, what about Kazan as the Russian capital?

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Do you have a source for the first sentence in your post here, please?
I searched google for the current center of population of Russia. Izhevsk was the nearest city that conceivably could be large enough to be the national capital. However, my choice was to keep it in Moscow for the reasons I gave.

Last edited:

Poly

Ad Honorem
Apr 2011
Georgia, USA
I previously talked about the merits of moving Greater Germany's capital to Prague so that it would have a more centralized location. That said, though, here is another question for you:

What do you think that the ideal capital for a Greater Russia would have been?

I'm asking this question because both St. Petersburg (Petorgrad) and Moscow strike me as being too far to the west to be an effective symbol of a Greater Russia. Thus, I was wondering if there was the possibility of the capital of a Greater Russia being moved to some more central location.

For instance, could the city that is now known as Astana in real life have become a good new capital for a Greater Russia?

Any thoughts on this?

On that basis, make Kansas City the capital of the USA and Alice Springs the capital of Australia.

Similar History Discussions