The importance of the color scarlet to ancient rome

Jul 2016
USA
So you're saying scarlet and purple were both made from this dye
Scarlet would not be a color that came from Tyrian Purple, it would come from Kermes or madder. One can probably play around with a vat of Tyrian purple by adding saffron for yellow, but it would be stupid as it would ruin the color. Nobody was buying Tyrian Purple dye or the finished dyed products wanting scarlet. Beyond that, a cheap way to make purple was mixing madder and indigo, but it wasn't color fast and thus wouldn't be a symbol of wealth.

Whomever wrote the original line in Greek either used the wrong word, didn't realize the dyes to make scarlet were not an exotic or expensive, or else just didn't really care and didn't think somebody would stress about it 1,400 years later.

Regardless, the text clearly is speaking to the Whore of Babylon being decked out in expensive trappings of great wealth and power. Whether or not someone with expensive looking cloths, metals, stones, and pearls actually means someone actually is wealthy, obviously all of those things can be faked rather easily. But appearance matters.

Aug 2018
Pennsylvania
Scarlet would not be a color that came from Tyrian Purple, it would come from Kermes or madder. One can probably play around with a vat of Tyrian purple by adding saffron for yellow, but it would be stupid as it would ruin the color. Nobody was buying Tyrian Purple dye or the finished dyed products wanting scarlet. Beyond that, a cheap way to make purple was mixing madder and indigo, but it wasn't color fast and thus wouldn't be a symbol of wealth.

Whomever wrote the original line in Greek either used the wrong word, didn't realize the dyes to make scarlet were not an exotic or expensive, or else just didn't really care and didn't think somebody would stress about it 1,400 years later.

Regardless, the text clearly is speaking to the Whore of Babylon being decked out in expensive trappings of great wealth and power. Whether or not someone with expensive looking cloths, metals, stones, and pearls actually means someone actually is wealthy, obviously all of those things can be faked rather easily. But appearance matters.
No the color scarlet is in their for a reason, you obviously don't know anything so stop pretending that you do

Jul 2016
USA
No the color scarlet is in their for a reason, you obviously don't know anything so stop pretending that you do
So the answer you got for the question you asked isn't to your liking, so you get rude? Is that how your parents raised you?

If scarlet is in their for a reason, surely you know. Then you should tell us all, being that you know the answer.

Jul 2016
USA
Nah, I think I'll stay. Meanwhile, please tell me what dye was used to make scarlet colored clothing and how the dye was made. After you answer me that, then you can unlock the secrets of the Book of Revelations!

Similar History Discussions