The inquisition in Rome

Dec 2008
..sorry if this is the wrong spot

BOOORING.

But I have to write a paper based on "You are the pope: defend the inquisition".

I do not know enough about the inquisition to submit this to my professor, and it's the "final exam" of essays. I know the inquisition in Rome was in reference to herecy and what not, but that's pretty much the extent. He was very vague in explaining the outlines of this paper. I've researched the internet, read some books, and frankly, came out wih nothing.

It's my history class, Europe since the 1500's. What, as the pope, am I trying to defend?

Any help from history-oriented people is greatly appreciated. History bores me and that's probably why I'm struggling.

Nick

Historum Emeritas
Jul 2006
UK
Help yourself and be damned. We're not a homework service.:mad:

Nick

Historum Emeritas
Jul 2006
UK
However here's a few hints:
-Belief in witches: They were part of a demonic conspiracy against Christianity
-Punishing sex crimes eg homosexuality as it was believed such acts angered God and risked divine vengeance
-Heretics like the Protestants undermined the church's authority. Inquisitors were sent to re establish it
-Persecutions of the Jews could be justified by claiming they were out to cause harm: extorting money, molesting Christian women and causing the plague by poisoning wells
Have a look at Malleus Maleficarum, Jstor, Google Scholar and Early English Books Online for primary and secondary sources

Belisarius

Forum Staff
Jun 2006
U.K.
..sorry if this is the wrong spot

BOOORING.

But I have to write a paper based on "You are the pope: defend the inquisition".

I do not know enough about the inquisition to submit this to my professor, and it's the "final exam" of essays. I know the inquisition in Rome was in reference to herecy and what not, but that's pretty much the extent. He was very vague in explaining the outlines of this paper. I've researched the internet, read some books, and frankly, came out wih nothing.

It's my history class, Europe since the 1500's. What, as the pope, am I trying to defend?

Any help from history-oriented people is greatly appreciated. History bores me and that's probably why I'm struggling.
Look up Roman Inquisition and Spanish Inquisition in Wikipedia, then look at the "See Also" and "Further Reading" sections. You will find a wealth of information you could use to defend the Pope's reasoning for instituting and supporting the inquisition. This is a "dream question", enjoy. :)

Jan 2008
Denmark
Sorry just can't resist: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHGOl-jfUK0"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]

Sep 2008
in a place
w00t homeworkhelpers.com!

I don't know if that is a real site but I feel like it now and yes I would use wikipedia