the Kalevala , the great creation myth from Finland , told by an Australian

Isleifson

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Lorraine tudesque
The gentleman from Australia is even more difficult to unterstand then a Finn.

Nov 2018
Denmark
A fairly accurate summary of Kalevala

Reminds me to read Kalevala again. My favorite mythology along with Nordic mythology.

Reactions: Niobe
Jan 2019
Finland
The little I remember being taught of this product of 19th century romantic nationalism in elementary school it was a slog. The absolute best way to enjoy it, as I found, was a comic book by Mauri Kunnas:

Nov 2018
Denmark
The little I remember being taught of this product of 19th century romantic nationalism in elementary school it was a slog. The absolute best way to enjoy it, as I found, was a comic book by Mauri Kunnas:
My daughter's 7-year-old son has several of his books, they are a hit.
Unfortunately, I do not understand Finnish, so I have to wait until he is old enough to read them to me. :)

Reactions: Taikuri
Jan 2019
Finland
There is an English translation of it, I have a copy somewhere.
You mean works of Mauri Kunnas? There should be english translations of them for sure. In swedish and perhaps danish too. How readily they are available is another question.

Zip

Jan 2018
Comancheria
There are lots of Finlanders here around Duluth Minnesota and one of the restaurants has a dish called kalevala hash. Oh Yah.

Jan 2019
Finland
There are lots of Finlanders here around Duluth Minnesota and one of the restaurants has a dish called kalevala hash. Oh Yah.
Do you know what makes it "kalevala"? I can think of some possibilities, none of them too appealing.

In any case, I've often heard about Minnesota being a favoured destination for Finnish pioneers and settlers, particularly from Savonia as the endless forests were conducive to the same slash and burn agricultulture they practiced here.