the Kalevala , the great creation myth from Finland , told by an Australian

Nov 2018
Denmark
A fairly accurate summary of Kalevala

Reminds me to read Kalevala again. My favorite mythology along with Nordic mythology.

Jan 2019
Finland
The little I remember being taught of this product of 19th century romantic nationalism in elementary school it was a slog. The absolute best way to enjoy it, as I found, was a comic book by Mauri Kunnas:

Nov 2018
Denmark
  • Runa

Runa

The little I remember being taught of this product of 19th century romantic nationalism in elementary school it was a slog. The absolute best way to enjoy it, as I found, was a comic book by Mauri Kunnas:
My daughter's 7-year-old son has several of his books, they are a hit.
Unfortunately, I do not understand Finnish, so I have to wait until he is old enough to read them to me. :)

Jan 2019
Finland
There are lots of Finlanders here around Duluth Minnesota and one of the restaurants has a dish called kalevala hash. Oh Yah.
Do you know what makes it "kalevala"? I can think of some possibilities, none of them too appealing.

In any case, I've often heard about Minnesota being a favoured destination for Finnish pioneers and settlers, particularly from Savonia as the endless forests were conducive to the same slash and burn agricultulture they practiced here.