The King - A Film about Henry V of England

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
It wasn't bad (I liked outlaw king better). If you want a historically completely accurate movie, you will always be disappointed.
And the nastiness of Henry was there.

Reactions: Menshevik

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
here
It wasn't bad (I liked outlaw king better). If you want a historically completely accurate movie, you will always be disappointed.
And the nastiness of Henry was there.
Agree about outlaw king, I really liked it. It was like a better version (considerably more historically accurate?) of brave heart.

But did this movie show Henry to be nasty? I thought it portrayed him as sensitive, yet tough when he needs to be, medieval version of one of the Jonas bro’s.

And was Henry nasty in real life? I don’t know much about him. What specifically made him so?

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
Agree about outlaw king, I really liked it. It was like a better version (considerably more historically accurate?) of brave heart.

But did this movie show Henry to be nasty? I thought it portrayed him as sensitive, yet tough when he needs to be, medieval version of one of the Jonas bro’s.

And was Henry nasty in real life? I don’t know much about him. What specifically made him so?
At a couple of points he didn't mind executing prisoners or friends. At Agincourt he had the noble prisoners executed, which the men didn't want to do as they would lose the ransom.

May 2013
USA
That was the most annoying thing to me. I will admit I don't know much about medieval history, but I always thought that monarchs of the time were eager for any opportunity to expand their lands and prestige or to enrich themselves. So, I would think that most kings and leaders would be on the lookout for any casus belli that could give their conquests and wars legitimacy. In the movie, Henry is the opposite, no? Isn't Henry V known as a great warrior-king? Didn't he relish combat? Didn't most of the nobility back then?

And the battle of Agincourt as portrayed was largely inaccurate, right? I never saw a single stake mounted in the ground protecting the archers. And I thought the English enjoyed the high ground, I thought the French charged uphill.... do I have it wrong?
Dan Howard covered it nicely already. A few things to add - you are correct, to the best of our knowledge, Henry was not handwringing about casus belli for the invasion of France. It is a ridiculous invention by scriptwriters in tune with political correctness nowadays.

I did not see any stakes or archers behind them either. Some think this was a tactic borrowed from Battle of Nicopolis some 20 years earlier; in any event, it was quite successful. Dan Howard also correctly points out the ridiculousness of having already outnumbered army waiting in the forest while handful of English men at arms apparently easily defeated two waves of French armored cavalry.

BTW, there were three waves of French cavalry contingents who piled on each other, getting bogged down in melee. I did not see Genovese crossbowmen on the field. Henry’s speech was laughable - why not use Shakespearean stuff if they already decided to use Falstaff (the actor was a cliche and a half, in my opinion, I do not get the praise for his “acting” at all)? Too much use of “f” word in medieval times. What is up with Henry’s “on me” cry leading into battle - it’s like something out of Call of Duty. 😀 Longbows could fire rapidly but not half a mile away as this seems to indicate. The film failed miserably in all aspects, as far as I am concerned. “The Outlaw King” was far from great, but it had some redeeming qualities unlike this disaster.

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
here
Dan Howard covered it nicely already. A few things to add - you are correct, to the best of our knowledge, Henry was not handwringing about casus belli for the invasion of France. It is a ridiculous invention by scriptwriters in tune with political correctness nowadays.

I did not see any stakes or archers behind them either. Some think this was a tactic borrowed from Battle of Nicopolis some 20 years earlier; in any event, it was quite successful. Dan Howard also correctly points out the ridiculousness of having already outnumbered army waiting in the forest while handful of English men at arms apparently easily defeated two waves of French armored cavalry.

BTW, there were three waves of French cavalry contingents who piled on each other, getting bogged down in melee. I did not see Genovese crossbowmen on the field. Henry’s speech was laughable - why not use Shakespearean stuff if they already decided to use Falstaff (the actor was a cliche and a half, in my opinion, I do not get the praise for his “acting” at all)? Too much use of “f” word in medieval times. What is up with Henry’s “on me” cry leading into battle - it’s like something out of Call if Duty. 😀 Longbows could fire rapidly but not half a mile away as this seems to indicate. The film failed miserably in all aspects, as far as I am concerned. “The Outlaw King” was far from great, but it had some redeeming qualities unlike this disaster.
One scene that I actually did really enjoy was the one on one melee between Henry and Percy. I don’t think that ever actually took place (?) but I thought it was a cool and imo a believable fighting scene.

Reactions: Castrum 1415
May 2013
USA
No, it did not take place. They tried using it as a narrative device as Henry later dares French prince in the same manner.

The part that made me laugh about the Agincourt battle was that all the knights /men at arms lowered their visors on and then started marching several hundred yards towards the enemy. It is clear that no one in charge of making this film ever had any kind of visored helmet on their head.

JoanOfArc007

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
USA
I admit the first time I watched The King I fell asleep. But this morning I gave it another shot and it has peaked my interest. I will say it seems like it should have been a longer film and the way they depicted the death of Henry’s brother could have been more detailed