The Last Kingdom

Aug 2014
pakistan
Just finished watching third season of The Last Kingdom , greatly enjoyed it. One thing i dont understand about the show, why Saxons were behaving and acting so native (as they if they were ancient inhabitants of England) when they themselves arrived to England just two or three centuries before the Viking invasions?. The nationalism sentiment by King Alfred to have united England makes little sense to me. Would not be Vikings fresh and natural competitors to them from mainland Europe from where they themselves had arrived two or three centuries ago?. More like Afghans and Mughals competing over India. I mean i watched a movie about King Arthur (events occurring three centuries before the timeline of The Last Kingdom) and in that movie Saxons are crude invaders like Vikings.

Dec 2018
Cheyenne
Just finished watching third season of The Last Kingdom , greatly enjoyed it. One thing i dont understand about the show, why Saxons were behaving and acting so native (as they if they were ancient inhabitants of England) when they themselves arrived to England just two or three centuries before the Viking invasions?. The nationalism sentiment by King Alfred to have united England makes little sense to me. Would not be Vikings fresh and natural competitors to them from mainland Europe from where they themselves had arrived two or three centuries ago?. More like Afghans and Mughals competing over India. I mean i watched a movie about King Arthur (events occurring three centuries before the timeline of The Last Kingdom) and in that movie Saxons are crude invaders like Vikings.
It makes perfect sense and is one of the great ironies of human history.

Think about it. Do Americans, Australians, Canadians and other recent nations consider themselves anything else than natives of their homeland?

The Danes and Saxons were near identical peoples(their even understood eachother) yet clearly considered themselves different peoples and one of Edward's successors tried to have the Danes now as native as the Saxons exterminated.

Sindane

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Europe
Two or three centuries is a long time. The aristocracy was Anglo Saxon, the people a mixture but one thing they had in common, that they didn't have with the Danes, is that they had become Christian. The invaders were heathen.

Theodoric

Ad Honorem
Mar 2012
Ever see the Kirk Douglas, Tony Curtis movie called The Vikings. It's an oldie. Made in 1958. Have no idea how historically accurate it is. Probably not much. Just remember seeing it when I was a kid and was majorly impressed.

Other than the violence in the fighting scenes, it's probably fine for your son. Can't imagine the language being a problem.

https://www.amazon.com/Vikings-Kirk-Douglas/dp/B000062XF2

BTW, have you read the Bernard Cornwell book, The Last Kingdom, that the show is based on? It is a thousand times better than the TV series.
Don’t forget Janet Leigh and Ernest Borgnine. =)

I always found it funny how Ernest Borgnine was even old back then, old enough to play Kirk Douglas’s father, and yet only died a few years ago... Kirk Douglas still lives and is over 100. Tony Curtis and Janet Leigh died earlier in the last decade. ANYWAY, great fun film - and one of the films I grew up on.

To the original poster: The Last Kingdom I have been watching too. The 1st season is quite good, but I felt season 2 and 3 really took it to another level. The guy who played alfred does a phenomenal job. From a historical standpoint, it is fairly accurate in a lot of ways, the battles and such happened, the noble characters who fought and died in those battles are right out of the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle (So tell your kid not to read it to avoid spoilers).

Jun 2010
Colorado Springs (PA at heart)
Two or three centuries is a long time - long enough that it means those Saxons had been in England for as many generations as they could probably remember.

Nov 2018
Wales
They were natives. The AS invasion is a myth, according to hard science.

OTOH, there were certainly Germanics that arrived and stayed in Britain over the course of millennia, and trade was vibrant between the nations around the North Sea, aka the German Ocean.

Similar History Discussions