The Lelantine War

Apr 2019
Ireland
Some Ancient writers (Thucydides among them) describe a war that took place between Chalcis and Eretria (chronology c late 8th century BCE into the 7th century BCE). I know that the Euboeans were prominent in trade in the Mediterranean at this time and seem to have established early Greek colonies and emporia. The war is named after the Lelantine plain and has been indicated at some point to have involved a great number of states fighting in opposing alliances (a Peloponnesian War type scenario?).

Were there tensions abroad between the two states or was this a more homegrown affair?
Does anyone know of any further detail about this conflict?
Are there any modern scholars who have written anything about the subject (theories etc.)?

Mangekyou

Ad Honorem
Jan 2010
UK
Thanks. Did Thucydides mean in alliance or not in alliance or was this misinterpreted in translation? I have to be honest I found it difficult to follow.

It may or may not have been a big affair, we may never know much more, it would be interesting if Archaeology might reveal something though..

It's debating whether or not Thucydides qas saying the Greek world was divided in alliance with either side or stood back.

Apr 2019
Ireland
It's debating whether or not Thucydides qas saying the Greek world was divided in alliance with either side or stood back.
This appears to divide opinion. Many believe it was too early to be placing alliances on a grand scale, while others look to find connections to events elsewhere - like a Messenian War, an abandonment of the settlement at Lefkandi and the ravaging of Carystos by the Milesians as indicators of greater involvement.
There obviously was some kind of conflict, however it's hard to say whether it was two alliances pitted against each other just like it's hard to say about what Thucydides has to say in that debate.