The life and disappearance of Caravaggio?

Dec 2014
US
Why was the greatest artist of his time, persecuted, exiled and eventually disappeared?

I'd like to read some opinions about his life: was really a thug? Did he actually kill a man or was he framed? Why is his paintings so blasphemous? Was Vatican behind his persecution and eventual disappearance? What are your thoughts?

jackydee

Ad Honorem
Jan 2013
Brigadoon
But then again how credible is that record.

Without being an expert on Caravaggio I suspect he was a pretty bad egg. It's not easy to trump up quite so many charges against a single man. My favourite quote about Christopher Marlowe is that he[Marlowe] was Lord Byron before Lord Byron. i.e mad bad and dangerous to know. I think the same can be said of Caravaggio. We all know the type. If trouble doesn't come to them then sooner or later they go to trouble.

Mar 2014
Beneath a cold sun, a grey sun, a Heretic sun...
Without being an expert on Caravaggio I suspect he was a pretty bad egg. It's not easy to trump up quite so many charges against a single man. My favourite quote about Christopher Marlowe is that he[Marlowe] was Lord Byron before Lord Byron. i.e mad bad and dangerous to know. I think the same can be said of Caravaggio. We all know the type. If trouble doesn't come to them then sooner or later they go to trouble.
Or, as expressed in the lyrics of "The Delaney" by The Libertines:

Some people run from trouble,
Some people meet it half way.
Others are glad to pay -
Their cab fare over....

- Peter Doherty/Carl Barat

Dec 2014
US
The exact point being that the charge sheet is too 'charged' and in no way it reflects an artist of Caravaggio's caliber.

jackydee

Ad Honorem
Jan 2013
Brigadoon
The exact point being that the charge sheet is too 'charged' and in no way it reflects an artist of Caravaggio's caliber.
The calibre of a man's art doesn't necessarily bear any relation to the type of person he is. Ben Jonson killed a man in a pub brawl. Christopher Marlowe died in similar circumstances. Only a few years ago Phil Spector murdered a girlfriend of his. Some of the great works of human creation have been produced by dubious individuals.