The list of the most common fallacies . I met them in every forums, they are very frequent on Historum too.

Oct 2013
Europix
1. They bombard you with a series of questions and demands, let's call them questions A, B, and C.

You answer question A and they say it didn't answer question B. You answer question B and they say it didn't answer question C. You answer question C and they say it didn't answer question A. You answer all three at once, and they pretend that each answer was used to answer something it wasn't intended to answer.

^Is there a name for this type of fallacy?
That's trolling, not exactly a fallacy.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
But there is a type of fallacy for that in the webpage: It's called as False dilemma or "Black or White"

Check it:
Your logical fallacy is black or white

Also called 'the fallacy of the excluded middle', I think. IE presenting only two choices in an argument, when in fact there is as least one other choice, possibly many.

Black and white thinking is beloved of dogmatic thinkers, especially those of the religious persuasion. This way of thinking tends to lead to moral absolutism. In my opinion, this position is intellectually shallow if the person isn't too bright, or intellectually dishonest if he happens to be bright.

BUT BUT BUT, yes I'm aware that I have only provided two options. BUT I have made no truth claim, merely voiced an opinion. I'm acutely aware that moral absolutist apologist will almost certainly come up with a few more, some not even mentioning god.

I also freely admit I may be mistaken, and will wait patiently for my error to be demonstrated. .. So far I've been waiting for about 40 years

Jun 2010
Colorado Springs (PA at heart)
I think they are missing one that I commonly see - not necessarily on this forum though. Misdirection. When someone makes a claim and is proven undeniably wrong, so they provide proof of a related but different point (not their original claim) in hopes no one will notice it proves a different point. I've seen people do this multiple times in the same topic - every point or claim they try to make gets proven wrong so they come back with evidence of a different claim, as though it's the same.

Nov 2016
Germany
Black and white thinking is beloved of dogmatic thinkers, especially those of the religious persuasion. This way of thinking tends to lead to moral absolutism. In my opinion, this position is intellectually shallow if the person isn't too bright, or intellectually dishonest if he happens to be bright.
To think black and white thinking is absolutely wrong is an example of such thinking itself :) An example for a more differentiating thinking, which you are obviously demanding, would be to say that in certain cases a B&W thinking is ok and in other cases, not.

So you are, in my view, demonstrating a special kind of logical fallacy by demanding a method which you yourself donĀ“t practise, what is called "performative contradiction":

Performative contradiction - Wikipedia

http://www.philosophicalsociety.com/Archives/The Performative Contradiction.htm

Last edited: