The method of processing historical data

Nov 2019
Maykop
I created a database of 155,127 dated historical evidence in Excel 2007. The database contains 982 event type indexes and 689 event place indexes. The database is uploaded to Google, is downloaded freely. Processed 5583 sources.
Database Link: 00_База_2019_10_05.xlsx
The database language is Russian, although sometimes I quote the original language.
Working with such a database is very convenient. Working with filters allows you to choose any combination of indices and display the development of any historical process on a graph.
I will give a fragment of my text to show the possibilities of processing historical material in the Excel program.
Chronology of geographical discoveries

Andrew Stepanenko
Translated by Berenkova Violetta Michailovna

The table used for estimation was created by the authors of Big Soviet Encyclopedia D.M. Lebedev, I.P. Magidovich and Y.M. Svet. These were 1044 dated evidences. 476 more evidences were collected while the research was being written. In total, there are finally 1470.

German travellers investigated the world in three series with gap between the series is about 150 and 250 years.

And here are Britain geographical discoveries. The gap is insignificant - 30 years, however dynamics of discoveries changes considerably:
- In 1576-1631 0.73 discoveries in a year were made;
- In 1632-1764 0,16 discoveries in a year took place;
- In 1765-1820 1,90 discoveries in a year happened.
The middle 132-year-old period of reduction of density of events in 5-12 times has no explanation.

And these are Spain discoveries in several macro-regions. Total gap is 125-250 years. Therefore, Spain makes the whole series of discoveries in the south of the today USA until 1541, then there is a pause in 250 years and in 1792 – we see again discoveries in the same region.

In addition, here we see the Netherlands discoveries. The ships reach Australia, and during 50 years make the whole series of discoveries in the Pacific Ocean, and only then Dutches suddenly think better of it, and start to settle their bases in Southern Africa. And after all, to found transitional bases for repair and potable water supply is № 1 condition.

In France discoveries, we present only the very first gap. The quantity of entirely empty years is specified in a legend. France penetrates into a region, there and then forgets about the reached success for 56-187 years, and only after these 56-187 years iterates discoveries in this region. And this is not all; there are often 2-3similar gaps on a line.
It is very important that this gap is located in different historical epochs, that is, interruption of researches by France cannot be simply explained by its intrinsic problems.

This chronological problem is inherent not only to pioneers, but also to the discovered terra: huge parts of continents for decades remain without research - each macro-region in its time.

The same problem is peculiar for smaller regions. In a case with islands in Polynesia we can see almost overall gap in the period of 1650-1750.

It is possible to show this gap on the example of pioneers - in Polynesia, as well. In 1643-1764 the region is occupied only by the Netherlands, and that is, in fact, a single short-term event – as a series of discoveries of 1722. In the situation when powers compete in speed to occupy new territories, almost total 121 year gap needs explanations.

The same situation is in Australia.

The similarsituation we see in Indonesia and Melanesia: there are 150 year gaps.

The same situation is in Micronesia: we see 200-250 years gaps.

In Antarctica, the gap is shorter, but the phenomenon, in fact, is the same.

End quote.

Last edited: