The Military Subordinates

Jan 2015
Ontario, Canada
This is a list I am working on of the often forgotten subordinates of the so called "Great Captains". While it does not need to be limited in its scope at all as I hope that the readers will contribute to it in any way that they see fit.
Here I organized a few of them based on their commanding officer. Some subordinates who managed to work their way up the ranks to the very top who had subordinates of their own. Due to the massive scope I obviously can't do this all on my own, it would require way too much research. Also go ahead and throw in your pick of Corps commanders, Division commanders, Regimental commanders, crucial staff officers etc etc. In any case, have fun!

Gaius Julius Caesar

-Marcus Antonius
-Publius Ventidius Bassus
-Titus Labienus
-Gaius Trebonius
-Publius Licinius Crassus
-Decimus Junius Brutus Albinus
-Servius Sulpicius Galba
-Quintus Tullius Cicero
-Gaius Caninius Rebilus
-Gaius Scribonius Curio
-Publius Cornelius Sulla
-Gnaeus Domitius Calvinus
-Gaius Volcacius Tulus
-Bogud of Mauretania

Marcus Antonius

-Publius Ventidius Bassus
-Gnaeus Domitius Ahenobarbus
-Gaius Asinius Pollio
-Publius Canidius Crassus
-Lucius Gelius Publicola
-Marcus Octavius
-Marcus Insteius
-Gaius Sosius
-Polemon of Bosporus
-Artavasdes of Media Atropatene
-Artavasdes II of Armenia
-Herod the Great
-Malichus of Nabatea
-Cleopatra VII of Egypt (she was actually in command of a naval contingent at Actium)

Frederick the Great (1712-1786)

-Kurt Christoph Graf von Schwerin 1684-1757 (Generalfeldmarschall)
-Leopold I Prince of Anhalt Dessau 1676-1747 (Generalfeldmarschall)
-Leopold II Prince of Anhalt Dessau 1700-1751 (Generalfeldmarschall)
-Moritz Prince of Anhalt Dessau 1712-1760 (Generalfeldmarschall)
-Friedrich Wilhelm von Seydlitz 1739-1773 (General der Kavallerie)
-Hans Joachim von Zieten 1699-1786 (General der Kavallerie)
-Prince August Wilhelm of Prussia 1722-1758 (General)
-Prince Henry of Prussia 1726-1802 (General)
-Prince Ferdinand of Brunswick 1721-1792 (Generalfeldmarschall)
-Wilhelm Sebastian von Belling 1719-1779 (Generalleutnant)
-Hans von Lehwaldt 1685-1768 (Generalfeldmarschall)
-Carl Heinrich von Wedel 1712-1782 (Generalleutnant)
-August Wilhelm Duke of Brunswick Bevern 1715-1781 (General der Infanterie)
-Johann Jakob von Wunsch 1717-1788 (General der Infanterie)
-Friedrich August von Finck 1718-1766 (Generalleutnant)
-Heinrich August de la Motte Fouque 1698-1774 (General der Infanterie)
-Johann von Lehwaldt 1685-1768 (Generalfeldmarschall)
-Friedrich Eugen von Wurttemberg 1732-1797 (General)
-Hans Karl von Winterfeldt 1707-1757 (Generalleutnant)
-Adolph Friedrich Graf von der Schulenburg 1685-1741 (Generalleutnant)
-Wilhelm Dietrich von Buddenbrock 1672-1757 (Generalfeldmarschall)
-Friedrich Wilhelm von Dossow 1669-1758 (Generalfeldmarschall)
-James Francis Edward Keith 1696-1758 (Generalfeldmarschall)
-Johann Dietrich von Hulsen 1693-1767 (Generalleutnant)
-Heinrich von Manteuffel 1696-1778 (Generalleutnant)
-Christoph II von Dohna Schlodien 1702-1762 (Generalleutnant)

Last edited:
Aug 2014
Why do you want to know?
Hannibal Barca

-Mago Barca
-Hasdrubal (cavalry commander at Cannae)
-Maharbal
-Hanno, Son of Bomilcar
-Gisgo

Scipio Africanus

-Gaius Laelius
-Marcus Junius Silanus
-Lucius Marcius
-Massinissa
-Lucius Cornelius Scipio

Last edited:
Jan 2015
Ontario, Canada
I plan on resurrecting this thread to go together with my other thread about Great Military commanders.
Instead of just focusing on subordinates I will try to include all of the military commanders which I did not include in the other thread. This other list is really just to keep track of what commanders I did not accept in the main list, so it is called "The Other Commanders".

My main list is over here.
My List of the Greatest Commanders in History

Note that the list on the first page is not the most recent one. And I plan to update it again anyhow.

Note, the Other Commanders list I will post in this thread is technically endless and there is no real criteria for being on the list. It is basically just a list to keep track of the many military commanders and to discuss their careers, within a historical context.
You can make an argument for moving a commander here to the actual Great Military Commanders list.

Hannibal Barca

-Mago Barca
-Hasdrubal (cavalry commander at Cannae)
-Maharbal
-Hanno, Son of Bomilcar
-Gisgo
For Hannibal, I will add Muttines, Hannibal 'The Gladiator', Mago 'The Samnite', Carthalo (cavalry commander and then garrison commander in Taras), and the Syracusan-Carthaginian brothers Hippocrates & Epicydes.

Last edited:
Jan 2015
Ontario, Canada
It only makes sense to start chronologically, but due to a lack of sources I decided to start from an easier point. Which is why I will start with the New Kingdom of Egypt and go back eventually to the earlier Egyptian dynasties and also do one for Mesopotamian history.

My next post will be about the 18th and 19th Dynasties of Egypt.

Jul 2018
London
It only makes sense to start chronologically, but due to a lack of sources I decided to start from an easier point. Which is why I will start with the New Kingdom of Egypt and go back eventually to the earlier Egyptian dynasties and also do one for Mesopotamian history.

My next post will be about the 18th and 19th Dynasties of Egypt.
Well, you are certainly not lacking ambition ...

Jan 2015
Ontario, Canada
18th Dynasty the Rise of the New Kingdom (1550 BC-1292 BC)

Ahmose, son of Ebana (18th Dynasty) - An Egyptian officer who served under Ahmose I, Amenhotep I and Thutmose I. He and his family came from Lower Egypt in Nekheb. He is known because of the biography written on his tomb; according to this text Ahmose enlisted (as his father Baba had done) and served under Ahmose I in his campaign to oust the Hyksos and he participated in the siege of Avaris. Slaying the Hyksos in battle, Ahmose son of Ebana was awarded the gold of valor on two occasions. The city of Avaris was sacked and the Hyksos were defeated. Pharaoh Ahmose I continued with campaigns against the Hyksos and their vassals in Canaan. Ahmose I besieged Sharuhen for three years. Later Ahmose I campaigned in Nubia, quelling revolts against Egyptian rule, Ahmose son of Ebana served in these campaigns as well. Under the next pharaoh, Amenhotep I, Ahmose son of Ebana again fought against Nubian rebels. Then in the reign of Thutmose I he was again sent to Nubia where he commanded a fleet in the Nile and fought against rebellious Nubian tribes. He then campaigned with Thutmose I in Syria where the Egyptians marched as far as the Euphrates River. His grandson Paheri was made a scribe and tutor to Thutmose I's son Prince Wadjmose.

Ahmose Pen-Nekhbet (18th Dynasty) - Another notable from Nekheb. He was a state official and military officer serving the pharaohs Ahmose I, Amenhotep I, Thutmose I, Thutmose II, queen Hatshepsut and Thutmose III. In the reign of Ahmose I he took part in the campaign in Canaan. Under Amenhotep I he fought in Nubia, probably together with Ahmose son of Ebana. he was involved in the famous Syrian campaign of Thutmose I. Finally in the reign of Thutmose II he campaign in Sinai against the Shasu Bedouin raiders. During the reign of the regent queen Hatshepsut, he was allowed to hold the royal seal, was made a chief treasurer and a courtly herald. He was also the tutor of Hatshepsut's daughter Princess Neferure. He died during the rein of Thutmose III. Both he and his brother Khaemwaset were given honors at court and allowed to build lavish tombs.

Hormeni (18th Dynasty) - Originally a scribe in the court of Ahmose I, he was made the "haty-a" of the city of Nekhen (essentially a magistrate or small governor). Nekhen was the third district of Upper Egypt, but he was also given authority over Lower Nubia. He served there for many years and sent much tribute from Nubia. It is unclear what happened in Nubia at the time since there was much conflict between the Hyksos in Lower Egypt and Nubians with the Pharaohs of Middle and Upper Egypt prior to Ahmose I's reign. Both Ahmose I and his immediate predecessors campaigned in Syria. Ahmose I's campaigns probably started around the end of Hormeni's tenure as magistrate, because Ahmose I then organizes Nubia under a Viceroy ("Sa-nisut-n-Kush"; the King's Son of Kush).

Ahmose Si-Tayit (Kush, 18th Dynasty) - Probably the first to be appointed to the position of Viceroy of Kush. He was given the position by Pharaoh Ahmose I as a means to control the conquered regions of Nubia. Pharaoh Ahmose I reunified Egypt by expelling the Hyksos from the Delta and began the 18th Dynasty. He also fought against the Nubians in counter-insurgency campaigns. During his reign Ahmose I probably expanded his control to the first or second Cataract of the Nile. Ahmose Si-Tayit was no doubt a part of these programs. He is the only Viceroy mentioned in the reign of Ahmose I, prior the administration of the region seems to have been in the hands of a court official, the magistrate of Nekhen.

Ahmose Turo (Kush, 18th Dynasty) - Ahmose also called Turo, was the son of Ahmose Si-Tayit. Turo served under his father as the Commander of Buhen, in the reign of Ahmose I. Under Amenhotep I and Thutmose I he succeeded his father as Viceroy of Kush. There were insurgencies by the Nubians during his tenure and he no doubt played a role in suppressing these revolts. There were many campaigns in Nubia under Amenhotep I and some in the reign of Thutmose I as well. The Egyptians invaded as far as the Third Cataract of the Nile and conquered the city of Kerma. Amenhotep I built settlements, temples and fortresses along the Nile as far as Kerma. Thutmose I put down a major revolt, attacked the region of Kerma the next year, executed the rebel chiefs and kings and built a canal at the First Cataract. Turo was also made an important courtier, as was his son Ahmose Patjenna.

Prince Amenmose (18th Dynasty) - The eldest son and intended heir of Thutmose I, unfortunately he predeceased his father. His two brothers were Wadjmose and Thutmose II. He was given the rank "Great Overseer of Soldiers" by his father and likely took part in his campaigns in Syria. Appointing Princes and members of the royal family to these military ranks was a long tradition ever since the Middle Kingdom.

Seni (Kush, 18th Dynasty) - Seni succeeded Turo as the Viceroy of Kush. He was made Viceroy in the reign of Thutmose I and continued to be Viceroy into the reign of Thutmose II. Of course it makes sense to assume that he had a major role in putting down rebellions during the reigns of those kings. He must have left office in the 2nd year of Hatshepsut's rule.

Nehsi (18th Dynasty) - An official during the regency of queen Hatshepsut. He was given the royal seal and made chief treasurer. According to some theories he may have been of Nubian descent. He was put in charge of Hatshepsut's expedition to the land of Punt to the south of Nubia. With five large ships and a few hundred men Nehsi sailed down the Red Sea and then marched to Punt. Nehsi brought with him soldiers, diplomats and scholars. Establishing good relations with the King and Queen of Punt, he brought back emissaries and many goods (such as ebony, incense, myrrh, ivory, cattle, gold and exotic animals). The expedition was a success and is one of the few foreign campaigns in the reign of Hatshepsut.

Penre (Kush, 18th Dynasty) - The Viceroy of Kush during the early regency of queen Hatshepsut. Tasked with controlling the region of Kush and sending tribute back to the capital. Hatshepsut's reign was rather peaceful and so Penre's administration of the south must not have been problematic. He is recorded with many court titles and his lavish tomb was discovered in Thebes. He must have been in office between the Queen's 2nd and 18th years of her reign.

Inebny (Kush, 18th Dynasty) - Was also called Amenemnekhu, he served as Viceroy of Kush from Hatshepsut's 18th year of her regency until the 22nd year of Thutmose III's de facto reign (as Thutmose III succeeded his father Thutmose II as a child). It is unclear what occurred during Inebny's tenure. He was removed from his position not long after Thutmose III assumed power. Perhaps this was to purge Hatshepsut's appointees or because he was incapable. There were campaigns in Nubia during the reign of Thutmose III, it is possible that Inebny disgraced himself with poor performance.

Djehuty (18th Dynasty) - Known mainly from the Egyptian tale "The Taking of Joppa" and some contemporary records. Djehuty was an officer of the expansionist pharaoh Thutmose III. In the inscriptions he is mentioned as "the king's scribe", "overseer of troops" and "overseer of the northern foreign countries". In the story the city of Joppa in southern Canaan rebels against Pharaoh. Djehuty, likely as an official in Asia, goes to besiege Joppa. Djehuty meets the rebel king in a parlay and captures him and then according to the story he declares that he can no longer lay siege. To trick the inhabitants of Joppa he sends them tribute in large baskets, but within the baskets are hidden 200 men which then infiltrate the city and capture it. After having taken Joppa he sends a victory proclamation to Thutmose III. This may be an example of the first recorded historical fiction. Most likely Djehuty took part in many of Thutmose III's Syrian campaigns and was in charge of the Asiatic regions.

Nehi (Kush, 18th Dynasty) - Is mentioned as the Viceroy of Kush in Thutmose III's 22nd or 23rd de facto year of rule. He was chosen to replace the Hatshepsut appointee in Kush, probably as a safer and more loyal official. As there were campaigns and upheaval in Nubia during Thutmose III's reign it is likely that Nehi played some role. He is also recorded as taking part in Thutmose III's Syria campaigns. Many inscriptions with Nehi's name were found in Nubia which shows many construction projects. Like many favored officials Nehy was also buried in Thebes. His lavish sarcophagus, made of limestone demonstrates his importance and social status.

Usersatet (Kush, 18th Dynasty) - Appointed Viceroy of Kush by Amenhotep II. This pharaoh ordered that the corpse of a rebel prince of Syria should be displayed above the gates of Napata to dissuade the Nubians from rebelling. At some point Amenhotep II campaigned in Nubia and in a shrine to this viceroy he is shown receiving tribute. The pharaoh ordered many settlements, to be built in Nubia as well as temples. Usersatet undoubtedly took part in these campaigns and carried out the extensive construction projects (some of his own initiative). His image and inscriptions appear carved into a cliff on the Nile island of Sehel. Usersatet was likely an important noble and confidant of the pharaoh and may have also accompanied Amenhotep II on his campaign in Syria.