"The Moors civilized Europe" theory

LatinoEuropa

Ad Honorem
Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
Hispania is not Spain.
Hispania is the Penisula Ibérica.

The Moors conquered the Iberian Peninsula or Hispania.Mouros never conquered Spain Spain's name only exists from the fifteenth century.

May 2019
Afrique
Well you are cherry picking by using semantic, we can basically said that the moor conquered what is actually consider Spain or part of it. Your argument is silly it's like people saying Roman didn't colonize north Africa cause it wasn't named like that at that time:rolleyes:

johnincornwall

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Cornwall
Well you are cherry picking by using semantic, we can basically said that the moor conquered what is actually consider Spain or part of it. Your argument is silly it's like people saying Roman didn't colonize north Africa cause it wasn't named like that at that time:rolleyes:
Welcome to the world of my friend Latino :)

Reactions: Kocc Barma
Oct 2019
West Virginia
I've come across this claim: "The Moors civilized Europe" often, mostly coming from Afrocentrics, and it is of course logically impossible, since Europe had had various civilizations for millennia before the Moors arrived in Iberia.

The Moors did bring advancements to Europe, they did for a time cause some rifts in the walls controlling intellectualism, and their civilization was not without merit, but even the early Medieval kingdoms they overran in Iberia were already "civilized", clearly.

There is a good case to be made that the Moors are largely to blame for the perpetuation of the "Dark Age" of that era in Western Europe, by cutting off sea travel in the Mediterranean to Christians. Defending against Moorish depredations drained European economies.

I'm thinking that Europe was not improved by the Moors, but overall damaged by them.

Reactions: AnonymousProfesor
Sep 2014
Texas
I've come across this claim: "The Moors civilized Europe" often, mostly coming from Afrocentrics, and it is of course logically impossible, since Europe had had various civilizations for millennia before the Moors arrived in Iberia.

The Moors did bring advancements to Europe, they did for a time cause some rifts in the walls controlling intellectualism, and their civilization was not without merit, but even the early Medieval kingdoms they overran in Iberia were already "civilized", clearly.

There is a good case to be made that the Moors are largely to blame for the perpetuation of the "Dark Age" of that era in Western Europe, by cutting off sea travel in the Mediterranean to Christians. Defending against Moorish depredations drained European economies.

I'm thinking that Europe was not improved by the Moors, but overall damaged by them.
they had a nice business going funneling slaves farther east. And it's no coincidence they set their kingdom up in the remains of the last Byzantine state in Iberia.

Aug 2019
North
All I know about them is that they began to kick the bucket at poitiers, and that they set up the irrigation system in spain [which unfortunately fell apart after the reconquista].

Sep 2019
Slovenia
Because Arabs were in constant jihad wars in Europe, Asia, Africa they captured also some inovations from others. For example paper making from China after war with Tang dynasty. And then they brought it to Europe or Spain which was under their possession in medieval times.

During a war between the Tang Dynasty and the Arab Empire, the Arabs captured some Tang soldiers and paper making workers. Thus, a paper factory was set up by the Arabs.