The morality of conquering territory for living space?

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
here
If it's empty? Go for it. If it already has other people there, just migrate there peacefully instead of conquer it. Otherwise it's not moral at all.
Can you give an example(s) of when something like this has happened? It seems that when we read about migrations and great movements of people throughout history, it's a tale of one group displacing another.

Jun 2013
USA
Can you give an example(s) of when something like this has happened? It seems that when we read about migrations and great movements of people throughout history, it's a tale of one group displacing another.
I do agree it’s definitely rarer for it to be empty. The major one I can think of past the days of cavemen would be the Polynesians populating the Pacific. Then there’s also occasionally splotches of wilderness in the tundra without major peoples there.
Then maybe add Antarctica once the ice melts but I’ll leave that for the future.

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
here
I do agree it’s definitely rarer for it to be empty. The major one I can think of past the days of cavemen would be the Polynesians populating the Pacific. Then there’s also occasionally splotches of wilderness in the tundra without major peoples there.
Then maybe add Antarctica once the ice melts but I’ll leave that for the future.
Okay, but then by your rationale, we must condemn the vast majority of groups and cultures in history as being immoral.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
It's natural ...

It's natural selection. When a growing population of wolves look for new territories it will have to fight other packs of wolves. It happened also to us, human being, when we had a demographic positive moment and we endangered the sphere of influence of the Neanthertalians. We won ... And we caused the extinction of an other intelligent species who lived on this planet. Do we feel guilty for that? No we don't ...

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
The interior of the US (from the Appalachians all of the way up to the Pacific) was rather sparsely populated before White people settled there.