The most devastating war in known history...

caldrail

Ad Honorem
Feb 2012
What was the population of Carthage once Rome was done with it?
It's impossible to know. Substantial numbers were killed or enslaved - reputedly the Romans sowed the area with salt to prevent it being used again - but the area certainly wasn't abandoned as both Punic and Roman peoples obviously lived there afterward.

Regarding the original question, I wouldn't know any definitive answer, but I'm putting forward the English Civil Wars which killed more people as a percentage of population than WW1.

Dec 2019
Moscow
It's impossible to know. Substantial numbers were killed or enslaved - reputedly the Romans sowed the area with salt to prevent it being used again - but the area certainly wasn't abandoned as both Punic and Roman peoples obviously lived there afterward.

Regarding the original question, I wouldn't know any definitive answer, but I'm putting forward the English Civil Wars which killed more people as a percentage of population than WW1.
I mean, just like the UK in Russia we also lost 4-5 times more people over the course of Revolution of 1917 than from participation in the WWI (1914-1917). But as I remember English Civil Wars were shortly followed by the Great plague in the UK, which must have aggravated the losses. In other words, I suspect that the UK population losses can be attributed to multiple factors, not only English Civil war alone...

caldrail

Ad Honorem
Feb 2012
The plague you refer to did not affect Britain as a whole. It was infamous for the outbreak in London followed the next year by the Great Fire.

Dec 2019
Moscow
The plague you refer to did not affect Britain as a whole. It was infamous for the outbreak in London followed the next year by the Great Fire.
Well, As I can see from the public data you lost even more people in 14th century than in 17th:

Nonetheless, even the loss of 45% of population is not sufficient to beat Paraguay

And by looking at census dynamics from below link

I can conclude that it is highly unlikely that in 17th century Britain held more frequent population censuses than in 19th century, i.e. once per every 10 years..
So perhaps Britain were struck by more than just 1 event between any 2 censuses it could have in 17th century, so this is why it would be difficult to identify what was the major drive for the loss..

Last edited:

caldrail

Ad Honorem
Feb 2012
Well, As I can see from the public data you lost even more people in 14th century than in 17th:
I should think so - that was the era of the Black Death, very much the devastating plague you were looking for. There were also economic issues driving villages to abandonment, and of course, incessant medieval warfare made itself felt.

Reactions: Novosedoff
Oct 2016
Merryland
a fair amount of Native American nations were, if not annihilated, diminished and forced to relocate, often losing their identity.

we still have Cherokee, Iroquois and Navajo nations (among others) but they are small subject peoples.
Aztec, Inca and Maya were decimated and lost their political identity.

Last edited:

Tercios Espanoles

Ad Honorem
Mar 2014
Beneath a cold sun, a grey sun, a Heretic sun...
a fair amount of Native American nations were, if not annihilated, diminished and forced to relocate, often losing their identity.

we still have Cherokee, Iroquois and Navajo nations (among others) but they are small subject peoples.
Aztec, Inca and Maya were decimated and lost their political identity.
The Beothuk of Newfoundland were completely eliminated, down to the last woman and child.

Mar 2012
Magdeburg
What about it? Please save us another Wiki search and enlighten!
Dzungaria was the last nomadic empire of human history (existed until early 19th centry i think) which was located i todays Xinjiang (wiki article seems good enough for a basic infornation)

They were literally genocided to ground by Qing emperor after the last Qing-Dzungar wars in order to have a "final solution" (contemporary report says that 80% of the 800k population were killed amd rest were enslaved).