The most impressive fighting withdrawal in history

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
Ney and the 'rearguard' from Russia didn't seem a lot of fun.
Yes but as almost everybody died it can hardly be considered successful. Ney at his best and impressive performance for him personaly but much of the French withdrawal was mis managed. Kutuzov lukewarm at best pursiut and lack of backing up his subordinates could have well cost many unnecessary Russian casualties.

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
Suvorov's retreat/escape from the French army through the Alps:
Have not quite got a handle on Suvorov. Not quite sure what to make of him, great vigour, aggressive, great motivator of troops but questions remain.

Would love to get some decent books on his campaign

reads parts of Eagles over the Alps. It's in one of my libraries but not on the borrow list. So really had chance to give it a thourgh going over.

Does anyoie know of any other books covering this or other Suvorov's campaigns.

https://www.amazon.com/Eagles-Over-Alps-Suvorov-Switzerland/dp/1883476186

Nov 2010
Cornwall
Yes but as almost everybody died it can hardly be considered successful. Ney at his best and impressive performance for him personaly but much of the French withdrawal was mis managed. Kutuzov lukewarm at best pursiut and lack of backing up his subordinates could have well cost many unnecessary Russian casualties.
I can't remember but didn't he get back with a few thousand of his Corps? Before he allegedly burst into that bar in Vilnius.

Funny thing is when you add up the casualties for Russia and look at the armies put in the field after, a hell of a lot of the Grand Armee seem to have left early!

I think I was basing it on him bringing up the rear and the fact it was a bit chilly to say the least!

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
I can't remember but didn't he get back with a few thousand of his Corps? Before he allegedly burst into that bar in Vilnius.

Funny thing is when you add up the casualties for Russia and look at the armies put in the field after, a hell of a lot of the Grand Armee seem to have left early!

I think I was basing it on him bringing up the rear and the fact it was a bit chilly to say the least!
A few hundred. Maybe if they were lucky. Liven gives 800 rejoined Napoleon's Army at Orsha. The Dying had not finished with them yet, Berezina was yet to come and less than half the surviours of Berezina would actually make it out. Maybe 20 or so if half died at Berezina and half died afterwards.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
Suvorov retreat was a good one , he extricated his troops through an unlikely path with great hardship and left his pursuers at loss of what to do next

Mar 2019
Amsterdam
I would have to say Battle of Tannenberg had a very impressive retreat. The Kingdom of Poland and the Grand Duchy of Lithuania were fighting against the Knights of the Teutonic Order.

A short recap of the battle:

After more than an hour, the Lithuanian light cavalry started a planned retreat maneuver towards marshes and woods. This maneuver was often used in the east of Grand Duchy of Lithuania by Mongols. Vytautas, who had experience in battles against Mongols, used it in this battle. Only three banners of Smolensk commanded by Lengvenis (Simon Lingwen), son of Algirdas, brother of Jogaila and a cousin of Vytautas, remained on the right flank after the retreat of Vytautas and his troops. One of the banners was totally destroyed, while the remaining two were backed up by the Polish cavalry held in reserve and broke through the enemy lines to the Polish positions.

Heavy cavalry of the Order started a disorganized pursuit after the retreating Lithuanians, which have been a fatal mistake. The Knights entered the marshes, where Vytautas forces had set up the trap for much heavier enemy forces.

The historical account of how and where it happened is a bit vague since the few eyewitness accounts are contradictory. Also, the Christianizing of Lithuania did not help in preserving historical records. Unlike now when we have few extra ways to preserve history. Like Wikipedia, Everipeida, Historia or simply the www.

Apr 2019
On my horse.
Suvorov retreat was a good one , he extricated his troops through an unlikely path with great hardship and left his pursuers at loss of what to do next
His pursuers did not completely get to him but it did not matter much because he had already failed. Massena did his job, even though with a more aggressive approach it would have been curtains for Suvorov.

Last edited:
Sep 2017
United States
I thought Anthony's withdrawal from Parthia was somewhat impressive, since his supply train got ambushed and much of his force was overwhelmed.