The most significant events from 5th to 15th century

Aug 2012
Italy
Hi all, I am doing a brief educational videos on the World History.
what are the most significant events between 5th to 15th century?
This is my list of significant events in the above peroid:

1-Rise of the Franks
2-the Arab conquests
3-Tangs empire
4-The Crusades
5-The Mongol conquests
6-Rise and fall of Byzantine empire

Here is a few videos from my project:

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
You can use that "Byzantium" [properly], with the accuracy to remind that "Byzantine" [with reference to the Empire] is an adjective that came well later. It has been attributed to the Eastern Roman Empire in quite recent time [they thought to themselves as Romans, not as "Byzantines"].

Anyway, nowadays it's acceptable [it's a convention, you know].

Regarding the period you indicate, I would add something about Americas [Mayans, Aztecs and Incas would deserve a mention].

Feb 2017
Rock Hill, South Carolina
Yeah I wouldn't say "Rise and Fall of the Byzantine Empire" so much as "Decline of the Roman Empire." Which ties into two of the topics you posted.

Frank81

Ad Honorem
Feb 2010
Canary Islands-Spain
You could add:

*Hundred Years War
*The Reconquista

And lets not forget in terms of cultural, social and economic development:

*Feudalism and serfdom
*The Church: cathedrals, orders and universities
*Expansion of cities
*Trade: Transaharan trade, Silk Road

Out of Europe

*The Classic Mayan Civilization
*The rise of the Inca and Aztec Empire
*China: Tang and Song dinasties
*The Buddhist expansion

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Regarding the Americas, I would add the traditional date of 1250CE [there are no written documents directly related to this], when Manco Capac became the first Inca, starting the expansion of that Empire [which knew its greatest period after 1438CE]. Manco Capac was also a mythological personage, if fact the tradition said that he was a son of the God Sun Inti.

This aspect of the King reminds the traditional beliefs about the Ancient Egyptian Kings. And thinking well also a French King wanted to be related to the sun ...

Aug 2012
Italy
Regarding the Americas, I would add the traditional date of 1250CE [there are no written documents directly related to this], when Manco Capac became the first Inca, starting the expansion of that Empire [which knew its greatest period after 1438CE]. Manco Capac was also a mythological personage, if fact the tradition said that he was a son of the God Sun Inti.

This aspect of the King reminds the traditional beliefs about the Ancient Egyptian Kings. And thinking well also a French King wanted to be related to the sun ...
Thank you AlpinLuke for the suggestion, I will Make a video on Americas during this period but not enough contemporary records.

Aug 2012
Italy
You could add:

*Hundred Years War
*The Reconquista

And lets not forget in terms of cultural, social and economic development:

*Feudalism and serfdom
*The Church: cathedrals, orders and universities
*Expansion of cities
*Trade: Transaharan trade, Silk Road

Out of Europe

*The Classic Mayan Civilization
*The rise of the Inca and Aztec Empire
*China: Tang and Song dinasties
*The Buddhist expansion
Thank you Frank81 for the detailed reply.

Jun 2017
Connecticut
1)I think Hundreds Years War should be an England v France video because that conflict is easier to understand in the context of why it happened. French paying off Rollo with Duchy of Normandy, his descendant conquering England and being a king and duke at the same time, Henry's marriage to the duchess of Aquitaine which extended the English holdings in France and finally the French trying to take these holdings away and the English King's claim to the French throne(which was exact reasons for Hundred Years War).

2)Another important topic that is rarely covered is the French Civil War between the main branch and the Burgundians. This conflict is responsible for not only how the Hundred Years War turned out but the current formation of the Lower Countries. Philip's marriage with the Duchess of Flanders, their descendants marriage with the Hapsburg HRE and their child's marriage to a Spanish princess created the huge Hapsburg Empire of Charles V that controlled Spain, HRE and the Netherlands.

3)Explaining the balance of power in the HRE is a really good idea too pre Habsburg. Luxembourg's electoral college and how the Hapsburgs rose.

4)The period between the breakdown of the Caliiphate and the rise of the Ottoman Empire. Fatimid's, Ayyubid,Mamluks(sure they'll be in your Mongol video) in Egypt and Seljuk's, Rum and Ottoman's in Turkey.

IMO these are the most important arching themes that transformed the world in the era you are describing that turned the world into what it was in the dawn of the 16th century. Wish you the best of luck with your Chanel!

Feel a problem with history in this millennium is students/people have a hard time understanding how we got from the Fall of Rome to the period of exploration etc and these topics are just really good at drawing a line that make people aware oh that's how we got from point A to point B.

Last edited:

paranoid marvin

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
uk
There is also the Black Death which killed around half of the population of Europe and perhaps a quarter of the entire World population, bringing about significant social,religious and economic changes.