The Mother of all Languages = Albanian.

Jun 2012
Malaysia
With all my respect I can hardly believe it, but on the Portuguese language it is from Latin Greek Hebrew Arabe, as we have many African words in Portuguese Portuguese colonies as Portuguese has words from Malaysia

Word Bunda is Angola
Word Jangada is Malaysia
How many more words
Uh huh. Interesting. Sorry, but I don't recognise that word jangada as a Malay word though, AFAIK. What does it mean, BTW? Intriguingly, bunda is court (i.e. royal) Malay word for mother. Very likely a contraction of ibunda, where ibu is standard Malay for mother, while suffix anda/nda is an ending used for royalty's close relatives.

Could it possibly be that you hv somehow confused between bunda & jangada? Becos the latter does sound like an African word to me.

OTOH, we have a smattering of Portuguese loan words that have remained in use in modern Malay, from the time of Portuguese conquest of Malacca. I can remember only one off-hand now, though. Almarae (cupboard), which have evolved into almari in modern Malay.

Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
Friend the word ( JANGADA) is original from Asia and not African.

Foto Jangada raft photo »»

amigo se a palvra não é da Malásia é de outro Páis asiático.

friend if the word is not from Malaysia is from another Asian country.

Sobre o nome comum jangada, parece consensual a atribuição da sua origem ao malaiala, língua do grupo dravídico (ao qual pertence o tâmil), que se encontra especialmente concentrado no Sul da Índia.

On the common name raft, it seems consensual the attribution of its origin to the Malayalam, language of the dravidian group (to which the Tamil belongs), that is especially concentrated in the South of India.

Nov 2018
London
Is the OP referring to Caucus Albania in antiquity or Illyric Albania? I take it the language spoken by the former is not a continuation of the latter?
Caucasian Albania - Wikipedia
That has nothing to do Albania in europe (as it is called in English today), names of countries and cities have changed throughout history and even moreso with different languages. Albanian people in europe have been there for thousands of years as the barbaric neighbours above greece. Even recorded in roman "literature"

Jun 2012
Brazil
Uh huh. Interesting. Sorry, but I don't recognise that word jangada as a Malay word though, AFAIK. What does it mean, BTW? Intriguingly, bunda is court (i.e. royal) Malay word for mother. Very likely a contraction of ibunda, where ibu is standard Malay for mother, while suffix anda/nda is an ending used for royalty's close relatives.

Could it possibly be that you hv somehow confused between bunda & jangada? Becos the latter does sound like an African word to me.

OTOH, we have a smattering of Portuguese loan words that have remained in use in modern Malay, from the time of Portuguese conquest of Malacca. I can remember only one off-hand now, though. Almarae (cupboard), which have evolved into almari in modern Malay.
Supposedly, the portuguese word Jangada come from the Malay changadam (raft), but a question from someone that dont speak Malay this word Changadam exist?

Nov 2018
London
There's no source for this. The first mention of Albanians as an ethnos came 4 centuries after the arrival of Slavs.
Slavs weren't around when Greece was complaining about barbaric neighbours.
The name illyrian (neighbours of greece who spoke a barbaric language) became proto "albanians" after roman conquest, most lived in mountains hidden from roman empire. There are no recordings of huge migration of a race to the balkans in that period, only the slavs from asia later on. What foreigners called albanians is not important to them, albanians were there in the mountains (shqiptars) and then were bothered by ottoman invasion. Kastrioti brought all the tribes together as they had a history of fighting amongst each other, all spoke the same language with different accents just like they still do now. Kastriotis helmet said "Principi Emathie * Regi Albaniae * Terrori Osmanorum * Regi Epirotarum * Benedictat Te"

Prince of Emathia (meaning big in albanian), King of albania, king of epirus (original tosk albanians), terror of the ottoman

From that point on all albanians were united thanks to its great hero kastrioti, he wasn't just the best warlord of all time but he is also important for waking up albanians and uniting them as they should be, and that's why to this day they still have a great national bond

Jan 2015
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Slavs weren't around when Greece was complaining about barbaric neighbours.
The name illyrian (neighbours of greece who spoke a barbaric language) became proto "albanians" after roman conquest, most lived in mountains hidden from roman empire. There are no recordings of huge migration of a race to the balkans in that period, only the slavs from asia later on. What foreigners called albanians is not important to them, albanians were there in the mountains (shqiptars) and then were bothered by ottoman invasion. Kastrioti brought all the tribes together as they had a history of fighting amongst each other, all spoke the same language with different accents just like they still do now. Kastriotis helmet said "Principi Emathie * Regi Albaniae * Terrori Osmanorum * Regi Epirotarum * Benedictat Te"

Prince of Emathia (meaning big in albanian), King of albania, king of epirus (original tosk albanians), terror of the ottoman

From that point on all albanians were united thanks to its great hero kastrioti, he wasn't just the best warlord of all time but he is also important for waking up albanians and uniting them as they should be, and that's why to this day they still have a great national bond
I have no issue with any of this, just the map that shows Albanians as far west as Zagreb, basically. There's no mention of Albanians in historical sources at the time this map suggests they stretched throughout western Balkans let alone a mention where they live. And to equate Illyrians and Albanians as synonyms is disengenious in the same way as equating all Slavs with the Serbs, for example. The ethnogenesis of Albanians probably occurred earlier than 11th century but as to when there's no telling. So beyond that point it's more appropriate to talk of proto-Albanians, i.e the tribes that would eventually become the Albanian people. And these tribes from what we know lived in modern day central Albania and were part of the broader linguistic family known to us as the Illyrians, many of which were romanized and then slavicized.

Similar History Discussions