The Mother of all Languages = Albanian.

Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
Sorry for Albanian friends, we just need to say that Albania is the cradle of Humanity.

Desculpem amigos Albaneses,só falta dizer que Albania é o berço da Humanidade.

Nov 2018
London
Sorry for Albanian friends, we just need to say that Albania is the cradle of Humanity.

Desculpem amigos Albaneses,só falta dizer que Albania é o berço da Humanidade.

I understand why you say this but I don't like it myself, even if we have been one of the first or the very first people of europe we did not care much for literature, religion and even civilization. The romans and ancient greeks are the true civilized people whereas albanians just liked to wander around and do whatever (ilir), some just lived in mountains and still do the same to this day. Ilir = free, freedom. What I do like about being albanian is not caring about religion because I do not like what it has done to people, we were the first official atheist country in 1967 but I am sure this was also the case before romanization. Most albanians just use the word zoti (god) or o zot (oh god) which sounds a bit like zeus to me or perendi (which is an old illyrian word). I am not a religion or language expert tho so I am sure someone who has studied this can give you better information

Last edited:
Nov 2018
London
Also, according to some croatians have more in common with albanians than serbs so I can see croatians and bosnians also being slight ilyrian because ilyria covered that area until the slavic invasion. I had thought they mixed with northern europeans but seems some may have mixed with ilyrians or proto albanians initially too

Also majmun = monkey in croatian

Last edited:
Nov 2018
London
I somehow doubt this is what the majority of Albanians wanted back then and not simply Hoxha's attempt to further strengthen communism.
I am sure most Albanians (even some other races/countries) also didn't want christianity, orthodox or islam before it was forced on them. I think hoxha simply didn't want any outside influence (religion) which yes, also strengthens his communism. I think he wanted everyone to have the same belief, same culture, including petty things like no beards allowed, short haircuts for all men etc. But i like to think that hoxha wasn't just an evil communist with no reasoning and he also cared about his own people (his families future), he was just trying to force the past out of their system for a new future with a proper identity for albanians. He didn't finish the job but did turn a lot of ottoman mosques into sports arenas and other facilities after destroying them. Albanians are now much less religious than kosovars thanks to hoxha

Last edited:
Nov 2016
Užice, Serbia
To reply on a more serious note, Albanians quite literally didn't exist until the high middle ages. They might've existed, but not to anyone's interest, since the first mention of them comes from the mid 10th century, and not even coming from modern day Albania. The first mention of them is by Byzantine historian Michael Attaleiates, from where we know they were in the army of George Maniakes, a Byzantine general operating in southern Italy who revolted against the emperor and was eventually captured. The second time we ever hear of Albanians is in 1285. from Ragusa, where a writer mentions a man chanting in Albanian in the distance.

The Byzantine emperor and chronicler Constantine VII Porphirogenithus, whose work "De Administrando Imperio" is a crucial primary source on early Middle age Balkan history, makes no mention of the existence of an Albanian people in the Balkans, yet goes in depth about Bulgarian and Serbian history. Other chronicles also fail to mention them.

Albanians don't call themselves Albanians and the word "Albanian" doesn't exist in their language. They use the term "shqiptar" or "shqip" which comes from "shqipoj", meaning "to speak clearly". The etymology of the actual word Albania is unclear. As for toponyms, a huge amount of them are Slavic in origin. Mountains especially hail Slavic names, such as Korab, Jabllanica, Jezerca, Rosit, Shebenik, Ostrovice, and others. The city "Berat" was also originally called Belgrade (Bilhorod in old Slavic), but was changed in the last 100 years to sound more Albanian. There are still caffes and pubs around the city whose names reference the old name of the city.

All in all, I doubt these people have a long history here, and I think the mod team should deal with s**tposters better.

Similar History Discussions