The Mother of all Languages = Albanian.

Oct 2015
India
Good to know about Albania. Secularism achieved in religious sphere is commendable.

The double-headed bird on the national flag and on coast of arms has a parallel in Indian iconography and literature. It is called 'Gandaberund' in some stories. [1] Is it the same in Albania?

[1] Gandaberunda - Wikipedia

Jun 2012
Malaysia
Supposedly, the portuguese word Jangada come from the Malay changadam (raft), but a question from someone that dont speak Malay this word Changadam exist?
The only Malay word I know for the English raft is rakit. Honestly, I do not recognise that word jangada or changada as Malay at all. Could be from an Indian language, I don't know.

The closest to that, AFAIK, wud be Janggala, the name of an ancient kingdom in Java, Indonesia, kind of part-successor of an earlier kingdom Kahuripan.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Supposedly, the portuguese word Jangada come from the Malay changadam (raft), but a question from someone that dont speak Malay this word Changadam exist?
The only Malay word I know for the English raft is rakit. Honestly, I do not recognise that word jangada or changada as Malay at all. Could be from an Indian language, I don't know.

The closest to that, AFAIK, wud be Janggala, the name of an ancient kingdom in Java, Indonesia, kind of part-successor of an earlier kingdom Kahuripan.
I think that probably there is some confusion there, LatinoEuropa already mentioned it, the Portuguese word “jangada” is probably from an Indian language, the Malayalam, and not from the Malay.

If not, let us do some tribute to the thread theme, and we can say that it comes from the Mother of all the languages of the Albanese, the Albanian!

Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
The word ( Jangada Raft )is original from the Asian continent or from China or Japan Thailand Malacca etc.

The word BUNDA is original from Portuguese Africa. ( Bunda Cu in English Ass Bunda - Cu )

In the day to day the Portuguese says more Cu and says less Bunda the meaning of the word is the same.

Learning Portuguese is easy, but it is very difficult to understand.
Aprender português é fácil,mas é muito dificil de compreender.

Portuguese proverb.

God created white and black, the Portuguese created the mulatto
Deus criou o branco e o preto,os portuguêses criaram o mulato

Nov 2018
London
To reply on a more serious note, Albanians quite literally didn't exist until the high middle ages. They might've existed, but not to anyone's interest, since the first mention of them comes from the mid 10th century, and not even coming from modern day Albania. The first mention of them is by Byzantine historian Michael Attaleiates, from where we know they were in the army of George Maniakes, a Byzantine general operating in southern Italy who revolted against the emperor and was eventually captured. The second time we ever hear of Albanians is in 1285. from Ragusa, where a writer mentions a man chanting in Albanian in the distance.

The Byzantine emperor and chronicler Constantine VII Porphirogenithus, whose work "De Administrando Imperio" is a crucial primary source on early Middle age Balkan history, makes no mention of the existence of an Albanian people in the Balkans, yet goes in depth about Bulgarian and Serbian history. Other chronicles also fail to mention them.

Albanians don't call themselves Albanians and the word "Albanian" doesn't exist in their language. They use the term "shqiptar" or "shqip" which comes from "shqipoj", meaning "to speak clearly". The etymology of the actual word Albania is unclear. As for toponyms, a huge amount of them are Slavic in origin. Mountains especially hail Slavic names, such as Korab, Jabllanica, Jezerca, Rosit, Shebenik, Ostrovice, and others. The city "Berat" was also originally called Belgrade (Bilhorod in old Slavic), but was changed in the last 100 years to sound more Albanian. There are still caffes and pubs around the city whose names reference the old name of the city.

All in all, I doubt these people have a long history here, and I think the mod team should deal with s**tposters better.
Someone ought to ban this troll. You are from asia and invaded europe whilst we were there for thousands of years. Our language is proven oldest in europe. Albanian is an english variation of shqiptar, albanoi, arbereshe, albanese etc. We are the ilyrians, some mixed with romans, some mixed the celts, some mixed with thracians, some lived in the mountains etc. Try to not speak about other people's history when you don't have any yourself

Nov 2018
London
Hitler himself identified the albanians as an aryan or original european race. He also hated the slavs but i wont get into that here because it is off topic. The nazis were the most advanced scientists at the time, america took their scientists after the war

Nov 2018
London
Now there's an authority on anthropology.
Of course the nazis knew what they where talking about, to say otherwise is ridiculous. Their scientists were ahead of their time and put a lot of effort into ethnical studies. Just a quick question, do you know what a gheg is? Please google Xherdan Shaqiri, Shkodran Mustafi and Bekim Balaj. This is common in albanians unlike greeks, serbs or italians. Now, italians were also indentified as the mediterranian aryans but they are usually darker than albanians even though modern italians are mixed with people all over the world due to the romans, you will find that tosks are mixed with romans (mostly), greeks & early slavs giving the darker hair colour. Also, the arbereshe that left albania to go to italy had darker hair instead of a more gheg look, they were tosk. So albanians have always been a mix of dark and blonde hair, some tosk some gheg. A lot of tosk and gheg albanians are pale when they live in a colder country, genes evolve to accept more sunlight and thus tan easily making some look olive skinned

If an albanian looks olive skinned whilst living in a colder country then their genetics have been interfered by neighbouring countries, but both dark blonde and black hair is common for albanians

Similar History Discussions