the much maligned Louis XVI

Dec 2012
UK
Very interesting. I have always felt sorry for Louis, a good, well intentioned man swept along by forces he found hard to deal with. He suffered for the excesses of his predecessors - apres moi le deluge indeed.

Crystal Rainbow

Ad Honorem
Feb 2011
Cumbernauld Scotland
He was quite an introverted personality, very shy, he never had much confidence about being a ruler. He would of been happier living a life of a normal citizen of France, he had no time for court intrigues. He certainly did not want to behave like his predecessors. He was quite happy to lead a simple life, he did suffer from depression during his reign. I know someone that is very knowledgeable about this king and knows this king inside out. I just wish he would register in here.

Aug 2013
New Zealand
Thanks Thibault and Crystal Rainbow.

I agree. I too feel sorry for Louis - in any other terms a decent man, totally at sea with his role and unfortunate to live when he did. It must have been difficult times for him throughout.

Nov 2013
Beijing
I wonder how things may have been different had his father not have died young. I presume the revolution would've occurred regardless given its basic causes go back to the 17th century.

Louise C

Ad Honorem
Jan 2011
Southeast England
He was a decent man, somewhat out of his depth. He would probably have been more suited to being a country nobleman, going hunting and doing his lick making in peace.

Aug 2013
New Zealand
I wonder how things may have been different had his father not have died young. I presume the revolution would've occurred regardless given its basic causes go back to the 17th century.

Hard to tell. Certainly Thomas Carlyle believed that it would have occurred sooner or later. The whole ancien regime was too rotten to continue. Interesting 'what if' though.

Aug 2011
Texas
Honestly didn't know much about the man until this week and still pretty much don't know much more than what others had already posted. Except his grandfather's involvment with his controversial Mistress, du Ball i believe her name was, and paid more attention to the dauphin, then might Louis had been better prepared to rule on the passing of his grandfather?

funakison

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
Between a rock and a hard place
As mentioned the Ancien regime was rotten to the core, and there were not enough of the great and good in the land who had the will to fix it, result revolution. The queen being Austrian did not help Louis cause. The problem with hot headed revolutionaries is they tend to have radical ideas, hard to negotiate with them. Either crush them or run away fast.