The National Dish of your country ?

Wenge

Ad Honoris
Apr 2011
Virginia
Beef stew with potato fries and mayonaise.
We eat anything if its with mayonaise.
So do I. The Chinese are appalled at how I eat their food. When they put terrible vegetables nee weeds on the table I mix everything I don't like or recognize up with the rice. Sort of an impromptu Fried Rice and then I put a big spoonful of mayo in it and mix it up really well. Then I add salt, pepper and tabasco to it, sit back and enjoy. Well I enjoy once I have the bones and the fat picked out of it but eventually it becomes something edible.:lol:

Wenge

Ad Honoris
Apr 2011
Virginia
:) Ummm, you mean the heavy R sounds and dragging out vowels.... Every accent is noticeable outside it's natural habitat. Everyone has an accent.
Where is the accent you describe prevalent? The United States has so many different accents that I find it difficult to imagine a very heavy American Accent. You are going to need to do better than that. Is there a heavy Australian accent or a heavy British accent? Why couldn't you just say that the women sounded like Americans?

Jan 2009
Where is the accent you describe prevalent? The United States has so many different accents that I find it difficult to imagine a very heavy American Accent. You are going to need to do better than that. Is there a heavy Australian accent or a heavy British accent? Why couldn't you just say that the women sounded like Americans?
?
I am not sure where you are trying to lead me and whether I should be defensive, insulted or just confused.

Wenge

Ad Honoris
Apr 2011
Virginia
?
I am not sure where you are trying to lead me and whether I should be defensive, insulted or just confused.
You should get it right. Australians seem to enjoy persecuting Americans and making as many derogatory comments as they can about Americans. I am very sensitive about anything an Australian says about Americans.

Jake10

Ad Honoris
Oct 2010
Canada
You were being sarcastic, right?

Heavens, NO!

I was dead serious. Oh, how I miss the old burgers. I'm not talking about McDonald's. I mean the burgers at the corner steakhouse that you can't find anywhere else.

You don't see hamburgers as our national dish?

Wenge

Ad Honoris
Apr 2011
Virginia
Heavens, NO!

I was dead serious. Oh, how I miss the old burgers. I'm not talking about McDonald's. I mean the burgers at the corner steakhouse that you can't find anywhere else.

You don't see hamburgers as our national dish?
While I agree with you on missing "REAL" hamburgers I don't think you can characterize one dish as being truly American. The cuisine of The United States is too varied to say that one dish is unique to American taste and honor it as such. American cuisine is the most wonderful in the world simply because it is the World's cuisine. If you like it in your own country you can find it in the U.S. That can't be said for American taste in other countries.

In China I never eat at American named or Western style restaurants. I am always disappointed in the taste, service and overall ambiance. If I am going to be disappointed I would prefer it be about something that is not of my own country.

Satuf

Ad Honorem
Nov 2009
Nebraska
You should get it right. Australians seem to enjoy persecuting Americans and making as many derogatory comments as they can about Americans. I am very sensitive about anything an Australian says about Americans.
I see nothing wrong with what he said. He did not make any derogatory comments about Americans. To Australians, their accent sounded America, wtf is so wrong about that?

How many times do Americans refer to heavy British accents? Heavy German accents? Heavy Australian accents? Ton. How many non-Americans get offended? None.

You are either trolling or joking around, there's not really a fine line in between.

Jan 2009
At the time it amused me that someone had come all the way to Australia to see our "culture", and somehow something as awful as a meat pie was considered to represent that. That's all. Says alot for Australian cuisine.

Ands yes, the American Accent does often amuse Australians. As I am sure is the reverse.

Anyway, it's derailed the thread.
National Dishes.

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions