The National Dish of your country ?

arkteia

Ad Honorem
Nov 2012
Seattle
I was once stopped in the streets of Melbourne Australia by two elderly ladies with very heavy American accents.
They asked me "Where can I go to buy a Beef Pie?". They seemed quite enthusiastic about trying one. Apparently it is an Australian Delicacy.

So I pointed towards the nearest greasy fast food joint. Good luck with your pie made of fatty gristle and reject bits of animal in gravy there ladies. :)
Accents...

Many years ago, I travelled to Australia. I wanted to buy a golden dollar with Australian sapphire nuggets in it, they cost a dime and a dozen here. No one would understand me, so I'd keep on saying, "it is national Australian...", and they would say, "oh, apples! Apples are everywhere", leaving me bewildered.

Opals. Opals are everywhere in.Australia.

arkteia

Ad Honorem
Nov 2012
Seattle
Russian food would be probably pirozki (small pies), buckwheat porridge, pilmeni (small handmade dumplings with two or three sorts of meat inside), vareniki (same but with cherries of potatoes inside). Of soups, there are: cabbage schi, Bosch (many people are it), or okroshka (vegetables and porrige and sour cream) with kvass (fermented beverage made from rye bread).

Where I live, they don't have good Russian restaurants, but there is one Polish that is good and similar.

arkteia

Ad Honorem
Nov 2012
Seattle
From my travels:

German restaurants serve the best beer.

South Korean food is great, but South Koreans are unbelievably good cooks; they probably can make any ethnic food better than the original.

Malaysian cuisine is wonderful, including street food; same about Thailand.

Apr 2017
Lemuria
The French food is good, but in my opinion the Portuguese or Spanish food is better than the French food, most of the time it is more the fame than the quality, it reminds me of the Bordeaux wine yes it is a good wine and I already I drank it, but I do not exchange it for the Portuguese white green wine that Portugal is the only country that has in the world only that it has little fame.
Friend is more of my opinion.
You have to admit though French food (which is a generic term) offers more variety. While Portugal excels in term of Mediterranean food, the French offers a greater spectrum from commoners food different from each region to modern cuisine. So much variety of food in France.

Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
Recipe with codfish are over 1000 dishes,that Portugal has, tell me how many have France.

Baked in barbecue, cod is marinated 3h in olive oil with rosemary

Cod Fish with Ham

Cod with Broa and Vegetables

picture Broa

The country of a thousand soups
When they tell me about Portugal, I say, "Wherever you go, do what you see." Look at lunchtime almost all people eating soup.

Portugal is a country with a rich and varied gastronomy although quite unknown, as it happens with almost all the neighboring countries of the south of Europe. In the Portuguese case, there are a number of stereotypes that recur among foreign tourists who visit the land of Camoes for the first time. To speak of Portugal, for a Spaniard, is to think for a moment of cod, prepared in innumerable ways, and in pastels of Belem. Often, when friends, co-workers and family members ask me for previous tips on their travels, most of them want to recommend a restaurant that eats good cod in any city, village or village in Portugal, and explains the best moment, when passing through Lisbon, to go to the Belém pastels factory and avoid the long lines. It is at this moment that my work of promotion begins to the many other dishes that exist in the Portuguese gastronomy.

My first tip is always "wherever you go and do what you see," so "watch and see what you do in any tavern or small restaurant in any city from north to south of the country when it's time for lunch. people are eating soup. " The most common answer among my Spanish friends is, "Do you have lunch or dinner chicken soup in the summer?" Patiently I explain to them that "Portugal is the country of 1000 soups and that, as in Spain, there are some more of winter and others of summer and that its elaboration changes much of region to region". Unbelievers, continue. A Galician friend asked me, "How is it possible to eat so many soups?" I continue, "the Portuguese call soups not only chicken or fish soups with more water, but also our vegetable and vegetable creams and they have so many varieties that the 365 days of the year do not come to try them all and fill us up."

The admiration of the Spanish chiefs

In 2016 I had the honor of interviewing Elena Arzak, daughter of the mythical Basque cook Juan Mari Arzak, with three Michelin stars and who successfully and excellently manages his father, the legendary Arzak restaurant in San Sebastián (Basque Country). Elena, who confessed that she did not know Portugal very well, was astonished "at the quality of the Portuguese fish and its different and delicious ways of preparing it." The Basque chef had tried a fish soup he loved, "it had a flavor that I will never forget," he said with a big smile. But the same happens not only with the typical Spanish tourist who is enchanted with the green broth or with the vegetable soup that happens to happen, in any small restaurant of Lisbon, Coimbra, Braga, Guimarães or Porto. Prestigious Spanish gastronomes have already been conquered by its charms, but also "for the excellent price relation of Portuguese soups", confessed to me two months ago a well-known Spanish gastronomic critic.

To my favorite soups

In the country of a thousand soups it is very difficult to choose, because they are so many and so good that maybe I will forget some ... but I will take a chance. Thinking about a typical Portuguese soup is undoubtedly thinking of the green soup, which accompanies so many popular celebrations throughout the country. In our house we like it so much that I always have cabbage cut in the freezer, which offers me a great Portuguese friend, and chorizo to prepare when we feel like it. A little prized vegetable soup is also a delight, and what about the one with garlic with garlic that any kid and gataont loves? But if I have to say which is my favorite, I say without a doubt: that of Alentejo, with a typically Portuguese flavor that mixes the best products of the land and the sea that makes it unique and unmistakable. The unknown and complete soup of Almeirim stone is also among my favorites, it is always recommended to anyone who asks me. One thing I am sure of is that this country still has many more to surprise, delight and promote in my country. Are you ready to eat a soup? I do, and if it's with Alentejo bread and a glass of Douro wine a lot better !! Enjoy your food!!

Correspondent of Cope Chain and the Voice of Galizia

------------------

Dogfish Soup

Recipe
olive oil
Garlic
Coriander
Salt
Dogffish
Flour
Vinegar
Bread
Water

total tempo 20 minutos pronto a comer Dogfish Soup

Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
Recipe with codfish are over 1000 dishes,that Portugal has, tell me how many have France.

Baked in barbecue, cod is marinated 3h in olive oil with rosemary

Cod Fish with Ham

Cod with Broa and Vegetables

picture Broa

The country of a thousand soups
When they tell me about Portugal, I say, "Wherever you go, do what you see." Look at lunchtime almost all people eating soup.

Portugal is a country with a rich and varied gastronomy although quite unknown, as it happens with almost all the neighboring countries of the south of Europe. In the Portuguese case, there are a number of stereotypes that recur among foreign tourists who visit the land of Camoes for the first time. To speak of Portugal, for a Spaniard, is to think for a moment of cod, prepared in innumerable ways, and in pastels of Belem. Often, when friends, co-workers and family members ask me for previous tips on their travels, most of them want to recommend a restaurant that eats good cod in any city, village or village in Portugal, and explains the best moment, when passing through Lisbon, to go to the Belém pastels factory and avoid the long lines. It is at this moment that my work of promotion begins to the many other dishes that exist in the Portuguese gastronomy.

My first tip is always "wherever you go and do what you see," so "watch and see what you do in any tavern or small restaurant in any city from north to south of the country when it's time for lunch. people are eating soup. " The most common answer among my Spanish friends is, "Do you have lunch or dinner chicken soup in the summer?" Patiently I explain to them that "Portugal is the country of 1000 soups and that, as in Spain, there are some more of winter and others of summer and that its elaboration changes much of region to region". Unbelievers, continue. A Galician friend asked me, "How is it possible to eat so many soups?" I continue, "the Portuguese call soups not only chicken or fish soups with more water, but also our vegetable and vegetable creams and they have so many varieties that the 365 days of the year do not come to try them all and fill us up."

The admiration of the Spanish chiefs

In 2016 I had the honor of interviewing Elena Arzak, daughter of the mythical Basque cook Juan Mari Arzak, with three Michelin stars and who successfully and excellently manages his father, the legendary Arzak restaurant in San Sebastián (Basque Country). Elena, who confessed that she did not know Portugal very well, was astonished "at the quality of the Portuguese fish and its different and delicious ways of preparing it." The Basque chef had tried a fish soup he loved, "it had a flavor that I will never forget," he said with a big smile. But the same happens not only with the typical Spanish tourist who is enchanted with the green broth or with the vegetable soup that happens to happen, in any small restaurant of Lisbon, Coimbra, Braga, Guimarães or Porto. Prestigious Spanish gastronomes have already been conquered by its charms, but also "for the excellent price relation of Portuguese soups", confessed to me two months ago a well-known Spanish gastronomic critic.

To my favorite soups

In the country of a thousand soups it is very difficult to choose, because they are so many and so good that maybe I will forget some ... but I will take a chance. Thinking about a typical Portuguese soup is undoubtedly thinking of the green soup, which accompanies so many popular celebrations throughout the country. In our house we like it so much that I always have cabbage cut in the freezer, which offers me a great Portuguese friend, and chorizo to prepare when we feel like it. A little prized vegetable soup is also a delight, and what about the one with garlic with garlic that any kid and gataont loves? But if I have to say which is my favorite, I say without a doubt: that of Alentejo, with a typically Portuguese flavor that mixes the best products of the land and the sea that makes it unique and unmistakable. The unknown and complete soup of Almeirim stone is also among my favorites, it is always recommended to anyone who asks me. One thing I am sure of is that this country still has many more to surprise, delight and promote in my country. Are you ready to eat a soup? I do, and if it's with Alentejo bread and a glass of Douro wine a lot better !! Enjoy your food!!

Correspondent of Cope Chain and the Voice of Galizia

------------------

Dogfish Soup

Recipe
olive oil
Garlic
Coriander
Salt
Dogffish
Flour
Vinegar
Bread
Water

total tempo 20 minutos pronto a comer Dogfish Soup

Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal

Santola Recheada - Santola Stuffed

Ovas de bacalháu - Roe Codfish

Francesinha Especial - Special Francesinha

Typical portuguese meals

Feijoada á portuguêsa

Feijoada á portuguêsa

Feijoada á portuguêsa

Sopa portuguêsa com feijão - Portuguese soup with beans

Feijoada á portuguêsa com coelho - Portuguese feijoada with rabbit

Dec 2017
Regnum Teutonicum
There is no national german dish, because the german cuisine is regionally so different. Even when one thinks about drinks only, there would be no national drink. At first comes beer into ones mind, but when you would try to drink one type of beer very day, you would need 13 years to taste them all. This just with the four ingredients water, hops, malt and yeast. Then there are the wine regions, the regions were people mostly drink cider or other alcohol like spirits. In East Frisia they prefer tea, in other areas coffee is king. Then there are regions producing special types of juices. Carbonated water is preferred throughout Germany, but can be different as well.

The closest I can think of is, when during asparagus season, most germans are crazy about this white gold.

Similar History Discussions