The National Dish of your country ?

Jake10

Ad Honoris
Oct 2010
Canada
Rice and beans are our national dish.
Something else that I long for... :sad: My mother used to make them for me with steak, and I would add her homemade sauce.

While I agree with you on missing "REAL" hamburgers I don't think you can characterize one dish as being truly American. The cuisine of The United States is too varied to say that one dish is unique to American taste and honor it as such. American cuisine is the most wonderful in the world simply because it is the World's cuisine. If you like it in your own country you can find it in the U.S. That can't be said for American taste in other countries.
But, can we claim this as our own?

Wenge

Ad Honoris
Apr 2011
Virginia
Something else that I long for... :sad: My mother used to make them for me with steak, and I would add her homemade sauce.

But, can we claim this as our own?
I think we can. When I think of what I really want to eat that is American I think of 3 things. I think of Hamburgers and French Fries from a greasy spoon in Rome New York, pizza from a street window in Bensonhurst and Hot dogs from my hometown.

Jake10

Ad Honoris
Oct 2010
Canada
I think we can. When I think of what I really want to eat that is American I think of 3 things. I think of Hamburgers and French Fries from a greasy spoon in Rome New York, pizza from a street window in Bensonhurst and Hot dogs from my hometown.
I've always maintained that New York pizza is the best in the world, and dim sum in some American cities is better than the dim sum here; the reason being that the ingredients are made fresh every day by the restaurant owners, while here factories make them and deliver.

But, while I feel good seeing people here enjoy Coca-Cola and Levis, I don't know how I would react if they started to claim them as their own...

Wenge

Ad Honoris
Apr 2011
Virginia
I've always maintained that New York pizza is the best in the world, and dim sum in some American cities is better than the dim sum here; the reason being that the ingredients are made fresh every day by the restaurant owners, while here factories make them and deliver.

But, while I feel good seeing people here enjoy Coca-Cola and Levis, I don't know how I would react if they started to claim them as their own...
I understand about dim sum. They have no idea of good dim sum in the north of China, even though they say we are in the south. Whenever I go back to the states I spend a lot of money soaking up the dim sum on 8th Avenue in Brooklyn.

Nov 2009
Plovidv,Bulgaria
Just look at the wiki - [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulgarian_cuisine]Bulgarian cuisine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

My fave would be: Tarator /bulgarian milk, cucumber,sun flower oil and some small addings ^ ^ / , Lukanka, Topcheta soup, shopska salat, shepherd salat, lutenitsa, banitsa, gueveche, banitsa .....

Zeno

Ad Honoris
Jan 2010
♪♬ ♫♪♩
So do I. The Chinese are appalled at how I eat their food. When they put terrible vegetables nee weeds on the table I mix everything I don't like or recognize up with the rice. Sort of an impromptu Fried Rice and then I put a big spoonful of mayo in it and mix it up really well. Then I add salt, pepper and tabasco to it, sit back and enjoy. Well I enjoy once I have the bones and the fat picked out of it but eventually it becomes something edible.:lol:
Sounds good. Especially the mayonaise!:cool::)

Similar History Discussions