The Newport, RI tower

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Apparently, this is the remains of a 17th century windmill. Apparently, it was built on the land of colonial Governor Benedict Arnold, ancestor of the general and traitor. There were theories that it was built by the Vikings.

450px-DSCN3887_newporttower_e1.jpg

Mar 2016
US
American history is just what you see now. Some one repeating a bunch of lies over and over again. Because they think people are so stupid if you say it enough someone will begin to believe it a it will become reality, with or without evidence.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Jun 2017
maine
American history is just what you see now. Some one repeating a bunch of lies over and over again. Because they think people are so stupid if you say it enough someone will begin to believe it a it will become reality, with or without evidence.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Trouble is that the "bunch of lies" changes over time. This is probably more a matter of speculation than a marketing project. Yes, there are a lot of apparently outlandish theories: vikings, Scots, Freemasons and the lot. Research means crawling through primary historic evidence and not dismissing out of hand. Some people look at the Martello Towers near Scappa Flow and imagine all kinds of origins--but a bit of research points up a less glamorous one; the Newport Tower may be something like this. I tend to agree with the Gov. Arnold theory (although there are credible arguments against it)--that it was a windmill, based on the style of the Chesterton mill in Warwickshire"
1572785960127.png