The non-Russian territories of the Russian Empire get independence but are kept in a personal union with the Russian Tsar

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
What if a Russian Empire that somehow managed to survive (perhaps due to a lack of WWI and due to Nicholas having a healthy male heir instead of a hemophiliac) would have given its non-Russian territories independence but would have required these territories to remain in a personal union with the Russian Tsar?

Basically, I am thinking of something similar to the situation in England and Scotland between 1603 and 1707--when England and Scotland had the same monarch but had their own separate governments (parliaments, bureaucracies, et cetera). I was wondering if something similar to this could have eventually been possible in a reformed Russian Empire and, if so, what the consequences of this would have been for Russia, for the newly independent non-Russian territories, and for everyone else.

Any thoughts on this?

Mar 2019
Victoria, Australia
Mhmm. Possibly but Nicholas II was a staunch monarchist and believed in the whole absolutism. I find it unlikely that he would do such a thing considering what he did with the duma debacle.

However, if we assume that Nicholas II grew a brain or something than perhaps I could see Poland being part of a union. I don't think the baltic states would be treated as such due to the russificiation of those areas and neither do I think would Ukraine be allowed to exist in such a union.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Mhmm. Possibly but Nicholas II was a staunch monarchist and believed in the whole absolutism. I find it unlikely that he would do such a thing considering what he did with the duma debacle.
True--this would require Nicky to either die young or get overthrown in a palace coup and get replaced by someone more competent.

However, if we assume that Nicholas II grew a brain or something than perhaps I could see Poland being part of a union. I don't think the baltic states would be treated as such due to the russificiation of those areas and neither do I think would Ukraine be allowed to exist in such a union.
There might be a lot of resentment among the other nationalities if only the Poles will get independence, though.

Similar History Discussions