The Norman Conquest of England was a conspiracy

notgivenaway

Ad Honorem
Jun 2015
UK
I've convinced of this, even though there is zero evidence of this in hte public domain.

The pieces just don't fit.
And neither party had an airtight claim on the English throne.

Looking at the claimants:

Harold Godwinson - He said he was promised the throne by Edward the COnfessor on his deathbed. This isn't possible. Both and St. Edward, who must have some knowledge of English royal traditions, knew that the Witan approved and announced the next king. This was the best able to rule, who in practice was often the eldest son but not always. Edgar Atheling was related in blood to St. Edward, but was only young at the time. But then he was 15 when St. Edward died. Past kings of England, including his own direct ancestors like Edgar the Peaceful, Athelred the Unready, and Edmund I, were all in their mid-teens as they gained the throne. His ancestral namesake wasn't called the "Peaceful" for nothing - he managed to control the other British kingdoms without violence. Edmund I regained the Five Boroughs after Athelstan died. These are hardly small feats for teenagers.

Harald Hardrada - Granted, King Harald of Norway had a claim via his descent from Cnut the Great. But then for me this is the biggest and most credible claim. He was power-hungry and eager, and most of his kind had raided and invaded England before.

Duke William of Normandy - He said that St. Edward promised him the throne. It wasn't St. Edward's to promise. The fact he was incidentally related to St. Edward was irrelevant. It was opportunism on his part, or St. Edward wasn't as "saintly" as he's made out to be.

I personally believe that William was given some encouragement to invade, and Harold was chosen legitimately by the Witan. Harold obviously lost, and Harald Hardrada lost out too. There may have been treachery on the English side, or misinformation or misinterpretation of William's "invitation" to the crown.

Harold's exiled brother, Tostig, did court both Harald and Wiliam, so this had to be a factor.

It sounds very conspiratorial, but then the pieces don't add up.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
High middle age politics are like today or for that matter any time at all
there are legal arguments and then there is the pointy end of a sword
usually the courts of law , if a sharp knife is put under their throats ,agree that the victor is righteous

William landed on English soil with a banner given to him by the pope with the appropriate blessing
that was all the rights he needed ( and devastating the country after winning a battle )

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
What remains to be explained? There was a valuable prize available to whoever was willing to fight for it and win. Three powerful and ambitious men wanted the prize. One of them had a treacherous brother who was willing to play the 'Anyone but my brother' game. In the end two of the three contestants were dead. Seems rather straightforward to me. Was there some back room wheeling and dealing? Of course. Any prize worth having is worth cheating for.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
no conspiracy both Harald and Harold died on the battlefield weapons in hands surrounded by their carls
Nothing very suspicious there
they reached for the prize in a game of medieval survivor , but there can only be one

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
According to the OP's theory, two of these guys must have conspired to kill themselves.

Aug 2019
India
In William's case he is the "Normander."

I was wondering how much "Viking" he was as his great great grandfather was a Norseman and from start of his lineage all of his ancestors including his father took Native french women as wives or concubines.

I asked to some Norge and Danish friends and they told me that they don't consider William Viking or Northman but see him as ordinary Frenchman.

Interestingly almost all of them were ready to claim Robert the fox as Norseman as he had long blond hairs.

----

In my opinion Harold godvinson was more Norman than William as his own mother was a Scandinavian noblewoman claiming ancestry from Ragnarr lodbrok himself.

notgivenaway

Ad Honorem
Jun 2015
UK
What remains to be explained? There was a valuable prize available to whoever was willing to fight for it and win. Three powerful and ambitious men wanted the prize. One of them had a treacherous brother who was willing to play the 'Anyone but my brother' game. In the end two of the three contestants were dead. Seems rather straightforward to me. Was there some back room wheeling and dealing? Of course. Any prize worth having is worth cheating for.
The official story doesn't make sense due to many conflicting points. clearly three powerful men wanted the prize, but they all had contradictory points that didn't stack up. clearly the truth has been doctored somewhere.

notgivenaway

Ad Honorem
Jun 2015
UK
no conspiracy both Harald and Harold died on the battlefield weapons in hands surrounded by their carls
Nothing very suspicious there
they reached for the prize in a game of medieval survivor , but there can only be one
There was a conspiracy to doctor the truth post-Hastings.