The northwest French forts/outposts in 18th century?

Sep 2018
transitory
I would like to learn some detail on the settlements located in the northwest fringes of French territory in North America during the 18th century, particularly any info concerning their population and living conditions. When I refer to "French territory" in this context, I mean the era of French imperial presence in North America (so I am excluding later French-Candian/Metis settlement that was not formally connected to the French empire).

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the farthest that French settlement reached during the 18th century was the fur trade outposts like Fort Bourbon, Fort Dauphin, and Fort La Reine in modern-day Manitoba (Canada).

If anyone can recommend some books (in English) which focus on the northwest extremes of the French empire in North America, I would like to read them.

In the meantime, I have a few questions for anyone who can answer them:

1) What sort of population did outposts like Fort Bourbon, Fort Dauphin, and Fort La Reine have during the 18th century? Was it exclusively adult male, or did any inhabitants bring wives/children with them, or inhabit these posts with local indigenous wives/children? And roughly what was the ratio of European, mixed-blood, and indigenous inhabitants?

2) What were relations like between the colonials inhabiting these outposts and the local indigenous populations?

3) What happened to these outposts (and the French inhabiting them) after the loss of New France in 1763?

Apr 2010
evergreen state, USA
I have an old fashioned card file on books stored in boxes. Browsing in the history group, I came across three that may be sufficiently related to the French fur trading era:

1. "Before Lewis and Clark: The story of the Chouteaus, The French Dynasty that Ruled America's Frontier" 2004 by Shirley Christian.

2. "Pioneers of France in the New World" 1996 (1865) by Francis Parkman.

3. "The French in the Heart of America" 1998 (1915) by John Finley.