The November 10th Tribute to Ataturk in Turkey

Dec 2015
USA
This is imo one of histories greatest sights. On every Nov 10th at 9:05 am most people in Turkey stop everything they are doing to honor Ataturk whom passed away on Nov 10th, 9:05 am 1938. On every Nov 10th at 9:05 am in Turkey the mass majority of Turks stand for a few minutes, halting traffic both motor vehicles and naval...paying homage to Mustafa Kemal Ataturk. We can see the vast majority of Turks admire Ataturk. In the USA I have meant a number of Turkish folks that greatly admire Ataturk just as I do. Ataturk is admired worldwide for his contributions to liberal values supporting equality among man.

Mar 2013
Escandinavia y Mesopotamia
This is imo one of histories greatest sights. On every Nov 10th at 9:05 am most people in Turkey stop everything they are doing to honor Ataturk whom passed away on.... (...)

Ataturk is admired worldwide for his contributions to liberal values supporting equality among man.....
I think the Turks should rather pay homage to the Armenians victims and cease their genocide denial as this is staining their character and nation.

And no, Kemal Ataturk’s Turkey was not liberal. It was one-party-state that even suppressed the “mountain Turks”.

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA
Ataturk was the first Muslim leader who did his best to take Islam out of politics, and free people from the Islamic yoke. He succeeded to a large degree in Turkey, but not completely. As a result Islam is coming back, shall I say creeping back, under the current leader Erdogan.

Islam is a political religion. Neither can one take the politics out of Islam, nor can one take Islam out politics.

Similar History Discussions