The November 10th Tribute to Ataturk in Turkey

Solidaire

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Athens, Greece
No, you impression of him is not wrong, it's incomplete. He was a pragmatist, nationalist -- not in a pan-Turkic sense but more in the lines of romantic nationalism. I am not sure if he truly believed it or just used nationalism as a tool. One thing is true tho, he probably didn't like war, especially unjustified ones and valued diplomacy.
Yes, I tend to agree with that. Perhaps more of a patriot than a nationalist (in the negative sense of the word).

Telling is his relations with the Greek leader of the time, and the architect of Megali Idea (which led to the Greco-Turkish war of '19-'22), Eleftherios Venizelos. They had established very good relations, both on state level, as well as on a personal one. Not only were relations between Greece and Turkey normalised after several bitter wars, but Venizelos also supported Ataturk's nomination for the Nobel Peace prize of 1934!

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
I have the idea that Ataturk was one of the first that tried to separate religion from the state in a country where the majority of the inhabitants was Muslim.

For that effort he should be recalled, particularly for those, like me, that think that religion and state should be separated entities.

I am naïf to the point of believing that a democratic state shouldn’t make any distinction of their citizens due their skin colour, religion, and other personal options and characteristics, unless those options can threat the democratic state. These days this seems almost a utopia…

Similar History Discussions