The Order of the Knights Templar on Spain- thesis?

Mar 2019
United States
Hey everyone,

I'm a senior (Bachelor's) working on my senior seminar research paper on the crusades (25 pages minimum) and I cannot think of a question to ask for my thesis. Complete writer's block moment. Although my subject is the order of the Knights Templar, my paper cannot be fully about military (per professor's rule). I'm interested in Spain, as I lived there last year but can't think of a thesis/ historical question to ask about the Knights Templar and Iberica. Also, I'm interested in Knight Templars and sexuality. Although maybe not enough sources about the order and sex or women or promiscuity (which would make an awesome topic in my opinion). I need help! I have plenty of sources but not a concrete history question such as "to what extent...."

Help! Thanks!

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Hey everyone,

I'm a senior (Bachelor's) working on my senior seminar research paper on the crusades (25 pages minimum) and I cannot think of a question to ask for my thesis. Complete writer's block moment. Although my subject is the order of the Knights Templar, my paper cannot be fully about military (per professor's rule). I'm interested in Spain, as I lived there last year but can't think of a thesis/ historical question to ask about the Knights Templar and Iberica. Also, I'm interested in Knight Templars and sexuality. Although maybe not enough sources about the order and sex or women or promiscuity (which would make an awesome topic in my opinion). I need help! I have plenty of sources but not a concrete history question such as "to what extent...."

Help! Thanks!
We already have some topics here about the Templar’s you can check it. You say that you have plenty of sources about them in the Iberian Peninsula? I find that curious, since there aren’t that many sources about them (at least to my knowledge).

There is a good study about the Templars in the crown of Aragon, by Alan J. Forey, at LIBRO, I posted this link several times, here it is: The Templars in the Corona de Aragn -- Master Page

Maybe reading/taking a look at it can give you some ideas.

About the sexuality… well… that will surely be a difficult theme.

And I have a question about the Templars, that would like to be answered, and that in some way was raised by Forey. The question is why did the hell did the Portuguese queen, D. Teresa gave to the poor Templars, and I man literally poor, without man and power, the castle of Soure, in the Portuguese border with the Muslims? It was one of the first lands (or the first) that the Templars received in Europe, when they were mostly unknown, and apparently didn’t had the power to defend it. But it is mostly a political/military question, and you wanted to avoid that.

And welcome to Historum!

Nov 2010
Cornwall
There's a good history of the Templars in Spain in Spanish in my collection, documents each kingdom in turn and each commendary down to how many sheep they owned. (No it's not that bad). Can't remember who it is by though. Also have another one based solely on surviving documentation, not speculation and conspiracy.

I think one of the interesting things is that the Templars couldn't fight each other, yet because of difficult situations and almost constant conflict between the Christian kingdoms, had to discreetly withdraw front certain conflicts whilct nominally in the service of one king or other.

As for the unanswered question - surely it plants a stake in an area without commiting your own troops?