The origins of Anatolian people

Mar 2012
Istanbul
I wonder how actually original people of Anatolian look like? Dark skinned? Blue eyes? Blonde? I dont include the mesopotamia, more like Central Anatolia people...

Apr 2012
Judging from ancient sculpted Hattian and Hittite figurines, the indigenous people of Anatolia were most likely olive skinned and dark haired, like a typical Mediterranean person. However, what sets them apart from others was their incredibly, big, noses. Of course, there might have been some variation of how people looked. This is indicated in the sculptures. However, the ancient population of Anatolia probably has changed too considerably. Armenians, Kurds, Turks, and Greeks most likely inherited these genetics from their ancient Anatolian ancestors. Although there has been considerable gene flow over the past two millennia.

Hittite Sculpture:

http://www.biblelandpictures.com/gallery/gallery%2FARCHEOLOGY%2FARMY%20AND%20WAR%2F3754-Hittite-figure.jpg

Midas

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Scandinavia, Balkans, Anatolia, Hatay
Judging from ancient sculpted Hattian and Hittite figurines, the indigenous people of Anatolia were most likely olive skinned and dark haired, like a typical Mediterranean person. However, what sets them apart from others was their incredibly, big, noses. Of course, there might have been some variation of how people looked. This is indicated in the sculptures. However, the ancient population of Anatolia probably has changed too considerably. Armenians, Kurds, Turks, and Greeks most likely inherited these genetics from their ancient Anatolian ancestors. Although there has been considerable gene flow over the past two millennia.

Hittite Sculpture:

http://www.biblelandpictures.com/gallery/gallery%2FARCHEOLOGY%2FARMY%20AND%20WAR%2F3754-Hittite-figure.jpg

You covered everything I believe.

Here are two pictures, one depicting Nesili (high class priests) and the other depicting possibly Hatti (lower class).

The Hatti are the older populations and usually seem to look different in the way KabukiSan mentioned.

Midas

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
I dont include the mesopotamia, more like Central Anatolia people...
First of all welcome Koseku! I see you are a new member.

Now, on your statement above I would guess that the Hatti and the Urartu were looking more like the Karadenizlι people and the Laz in northern Turkey. Central Anatolia was a river of people after some point, so I can't put a finger on it.

Generally, Anatolia, the Aegean populations and Crete must have looked more or less the same before the arrival of all other people (Nesili, Greeks, Phrygians, Armenians, Assyrians, Galatians, Persians, Turks).

Last edited:
May 2011
Macedonia, Eastern Roman Empire
Although Greeks mention differences between them and continental Europeans or Egyptians, we don't see any reference about Anatolians, so I guess they wouldn't differ much, mostly because for the reason Midas mentioned. I think they looked the same as today, if we exclude some Turanid influences.

Let's see how the Persians depicted them (from the eastern stares of Apadana, Persepolis:

A Lydian

Greek

Ionian (Anatolian) Greek:

Armenian:

Cappadocian:

Persian:

Cilician:

Compare them with an Arab:

Oriental Institute | Oriental Institute Photographic Archives

Midas

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Nice post Yauna!

Although they were of Balkan origin I will post "my people" (Phrygians) as well. :lol:

MIDAS

A RANDOM PHRYGIAN

A PHRYGIAN GIRL (I think she was popular in her time)

Last edited:

Midas

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Hittite Officer

Musicians of the early 3rd millennium ~ 2800 -2900 B.C (probably Hatti)

Apr 2012
I think it is strange to compare a square bust with a real human head and say they look alike.

All I can say about this subject is that, recently scientist did a research on Etruscan blood( anatolians). And they compared Turkish, Greek, Italian and other people.

What turned out was that Turkish people were the closest to those people. This is what science says and this is what I believe.

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions